CarPlay Any way to rename cars in CarPlay settings?

dwfaust

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 3, 2011
My wife has a 2019 Ford Edge with SYNC3... I have a 2020 Ford Escape with SYNC 3... when I look at the CarPlay settings on iPhone (Settings > General > CarPlay), I see two entries for SYNC 3... no way to differentiate between the two... has anyone found a way to rename these "cars"?

IMG_2092.png

Last edited:

Itinj24

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2017
New York
I haven’t been able to find this through iOS but maybe the car has an option in its setting to change the name of it. Looks like it maybe takes the name from the Bluetooth list and it’s absolutely ludicrous that iOS doesn’t allow you to rename Bluetooth devices in 2020. At work, we have a fleet of about 30 Ford Tauruses/Explorers and 10 Dodge Chargers and I have no clue which Bluetooth profile belongs to which car. Just says Sync and U-Connect in a very long list. Absolutely ridiculous!

Reactions: compwiz1202

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
I haven’t been able to find this through iOS but maybe the car has an option in its setting to change the name of it. Looks like it maybe takes the name from the Bluetooth list and it’s absolutely ludicrous that iOS doesn’t allow you to rename Bluetooth devices in 2020. At work, we have a fleet of about 30 Ford Tauruses/Explorers and 10 Dodge Chargers and I have no clue which Bluetooth profile belongs to which car. Just says Sync and U-Connect in a very long list. Absolutely ridiculous!
Bluetooth names can only be changed on accessories sophisticated enough to support it. This requires hardware and software more then a standard receiver would have. Proprietary in some cases...

IMG_F90A8A0721AB-1.png

OS's that support name changing (aka bluetooth friendly names) are still seeing the default name they are just showing you what you want to see. The name change only applies to the device that changed it. MAC hardware address is used to identify and rename the hardware locally.

For privacy iOS uses a UUID for BT in place of MAC address to mitigate tracking done by scanner. I believe this makes renaming devices less reliable though (which is already not very reliable as firmware updates and sometimes reboots can revert to the default name).

To actually change an accessories name it needs to be done via the accessories or its software.

Last edited: