Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sarpler

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 20, 2019
iPhone SE on iOS 13.2.3

I've set my security restrictions up so that you can view stuff on the main notifications view and the today view screens but not interact with them unless you unlock the phone. All is well, except for one thing-

One of the widgets you can add to the today view screen is the "phone favorites" widget where you can set up a bunch of quick buttons to call or message people. Tapping a message button makes you unlock the phone like everything else on that screen, but tapping a call button just calls the person instantly without ever requiring touchID or a password. I can't figure out how to make it require one like I can with all the other widgets, none of the switches I flip in the settings app seem to affect this.

Does anyone know what's going on? How do I prevent unauthorized access to this widget like I can with all the other widgets on the notification and today screens?

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
iPhone SE on iOS 13.2.3

I've set my security restrictions up so that you can view stuff on the main notifications view and the today view screens but not interact with them unless you unlock the phone. All is well, except for one thing-

One of the widgets you can add to the today view screen is the "phone favorites" widget where you can set up a bunch of quick buttons to call or message people. Tapping a message button makes you unlock the phone like everything else on that screen, but tapping a call button just calls the person instantly without ever requiring touchID or a password. I can't figure out how to make it require one like I can with all the other widgets, none of the switches I flip in the settings app seem to affect this.

Does anyone know what's going on? How do I prevent unauthorized access to this widget like I can with all the other widgets on the notification and today screens?
The only thing that seems sort of connected to that would probably be the Return Missed Calls option, but I'm not sure that would control it. Realistically speaking maybe this is connected to Siri in some sense as well -- if Siri is allowed on the locked screen then calls could be made via Siri, so calls through a widget might similarly be allowed. Not sure if anything else outside of those two options might have any effect on something like that.

sarpler

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 20, 2019
> Return Missed Calls
Tried that already, turning it off has no effect.

> Siri
Tried that too. Completely disabled Siri and all search features and suggestions, as well as deleting the history. No effect.

Really irritating that for a company that touts "security" so much there's stuff they don't let you secure.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
> Return Missed Calls
Tried that already, turning it off has no effect.

> Siri
Tried that too. Completely disabled Siri and all search features and suggestions, as well as deleting the history. No effect.

Really irritating that for a company that touts "security" so much there's stuff they don't let you secure.
Well, their security approach in this case is disabling access to widgets from the lock screen.

sarpler

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 20, 2019
Yeah well I know I can just turn that widget off entirely, and I guess that's what I'll have to do, but I just hate Apple's all-or-nothing my-way-or-the-highway approach to everything where you either bend over and take what they give you or throw it out completely. Especially since their restrictions don't even make sense half the time, why can you lock the ability to send a message but not a call? Argh.

Reactions: compwiz1202
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.