General Any way to reverse or uninstall an update of a Cydia app?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by TH55, Sep 30, 2012.

1. TH55 macrumors 68030

I recently updated Activator and now it has an annoying ad along the bottom of the screen, but even worse now displays a banner when you toggle on/off wi-fi which takes forevvvvvvver to disappear. I HATE when they release an update that is inferior to the previous version.

2. TH55 thread starter macrumors 68030

Can I just delete and download the old version?

3. rak007 macrumors 6502a

Activator developer might have taken some inspiration from Apple (Maps anyone ???)

4. TH55, Oct 2, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2012

TH55 thread starter macrumors 68030

Haha ya

5. TH55 thread starter macrumors 68030

6. TriJetHero macrumors 601

TriJetHero

try it on a mac and that with iFunbox bring it to your phone.

Either put it in private/var/root/media/cydia/AutoInstall (creat the last to if need be) and than reboot the phone

or install it with iFile

7. BumpyFlatline macrumors 68030

BumpyFlatline

Or just use the dolphin browser on your iPhone. In my opinion it's the best iPhone browser.

8. TriJetHero macrumors 601

TriJetHero

9. Siggen, Oct 3, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2012

Siggen macrumors 6502

This is now a browser flamewar thread.
    I like and only use Chrome for iOS.
    I use Nitrous (full speed javascript engine) and Chrome Download Manager as the only extentions for this.

Nah just kidding, easiest way to send your iDevice the file, is to first install iFile (free or paid version) from cydia, then mail your self the file and open it on the iDevice.

Edit:
    To do this or any other way described earlier in this thread you need to uninstall Activator first (which would uninstall every app that depends on it). If you dont want this you can install it via the Mobile Terminal app in Cydia.

Tell me if you need this more explained, but the code should be something like this

First run
    Code:
    sudo su
    to become root
    enter the password when promoted, it should be alpine, but you should change this anyway (using the passwd command, do this asap)
    It wont display the password as you type, just type it and press enter

now run this command
    Code:
    dpkg --force-downgrade -i path/to/my/file/filename.deb
    if you put the deb file in the homefolder of the mobile user, you only need the filename.

I have a hard time explaining it any simpler, but thats because I've been using the linux/mac commandline for 10 years almost now. I can try to explain in easier, or you can download Lynda essential terminal training :)

10. BumpyFlatline macrumors 68030

BumpyFlatline

I use Nitrous with the dolphin browser so there! Haha basically the point is, you don't need to use a computer to get the file. It can all be done on your phone for free! But if you are near a computer then emailing it to yourself is just as easy. Like Siggen said, when you open the email with the attachments you will be given the option to open in iFile. iFile is the best! I love the built in wifi server and Dropbox integration!

11. TriJetHero macrumors 601

TriJetHero

i don't have preference, merely gave an option for downloading in mobile safari

12. TH55 thread starter macrumors 68030

Ok I downloaded with dolphin, now what do I do?

13. BumpyFlatline macrumors 68030

BumpyFlatline

Open iFile and navigate to the dolphin folder in var>mobile>applications. After you open the dolphin folder navigate to documents>downloads. The file will be there. If you expect to download more often in the future with dolphin and iFile, I suggest you bookmark the downloads folder. Makes it much easier to access recently downloaded files. Keep in mind, whenever you update dolphin you will also have to create a new bookmark in iFile for the downloads folder. For whatever reason whenever you update an app the long application "name" changes and therefore the file path changes rendering the old bookmark useless. I recommend in iFile settings go to file manager and turn on application names. It makes it much much easier to locate the dolphin folder amongst all the other applications Then follow the instructions in the post above to install the deb file. Don't forget to reboot twice after installing the deb file in cydia's auto install folder. Good luck. Let us know if you have any questions or problems.

14. TH55 thread starter macrumors 68030

Where do I get iFile?

15. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

Cydia

16. BumpyFlatline macrumors 68030

BumpyFlatline

Thanks man

17. TH55, Oct 3, 2012

Ok I installed, this isn't the right version I don't think, it has the ads at the bottom and this one doesn't even have the wifi option. Where can I find other versions?

18. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

You need to purchase it to get full features.

19. TH55 thread starter macrumors 68030

Huh? I downloaded it for free before, the previous version and the new one.

20. TH55, Oct 3, 2012

Ok I deleted that version and reinstalled the latest one from Cydia, and it is no longer giving me the option to toggle wifi on and off, but only the option to open wifi settings. What happened?!

Nevermind, I somehow had uninstalled sbsettings got it now

21. BumpyFlatline macrumors 68030

BumpyFlatline

22. TH55 thread starter macrumors 68030

Lol ya! Perfect, sometimes updates are bad. I now know to be wary. I was also able to turn off notifications for updates for activator haha. Thanks again!

Any good tweaks you recommend?