Any way to rip DVD movies into my hard drive?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by AlawnAaron, Jun 28, 2010.

1. AlawnAaron macrumors newbie

I don't want to "pirate" any movies, but would like to rip DVD's that I bought into my computer so I can put them on my iPod.

Are there ways to rip copy protected DVD's with many chapters/episodes etc?

Which software allows me to do it? Is it legal?

2. Xavier macrumors 68020

What do you mean by copy protected?

I have been using Handbrake for a long time to rip DVD's to the computer for iTunes upload. You have a variety of presets and flexibility with the video quality.

3. skiltrip macrumors 68030

iSkySoft makes something called iMediaConverter for only $49. ( http://www.iskysoft.com/ ) I use it all the time, and it does exactly what you want it to do. You pick your source (in your case the DVD disk), and then what you want the output to be. In your case you would just choose the preset for the iPod Classic. It works really well, and is really easy. Note though that it rips your movies into one continuous video file, with no chapter markers. Not sure if this is even possible in any video file playable on an iPod.

In any case, I feel like iMediaConverter is a steal for 49 bucks. It basically converts any video to any other video format you want. I've used it to convert .avi files that came from a Windows computer as well.

4. gan6660 macrumors 65816

gan6660

Handbrake does the same thing for free.

5. dXTC macrumors 68020

dXTC

That's fine, if you want a universal converter.
    Myself, I use Handbrake, and it's free. It keeps chapter markings and will even convert old DivX .avi's to iPod .m4v format. The only advantage I see to iMediaConverter is the flexibility of output format. HandBrake is designed to make m4v's and mp4's for iTunes/iPod/AppleTV; it cannot output to .avi or .vob.

6. skiltrip macrumors 68030

I'll have to check out HandBrake. I'm new to this Mac world, and I keep finding out about cool new things. Thanks.

7. liamkp macrumors 68020

liamkp

8. Mandychris macrumors newbie

I recommend you a DVD Ripper.

It could easily rip DVD to MP4, H.264, AVI, MP3, WMV, WMA, FLV, MKV, MPEG-1, MPEG-2, 3GP, 3GPP, VOB, DivX, Mov, RM, RMVB, M4A, AAC, WAV, etc. with super fast DVD ripping speed and excellent image and sound quality.

It also can edit the DVD movies, such as trim a video clip, crop the movie, merge several titles or chapters into one file and so on.

Details: http://www.apollodownload.com/view/94.html
    Step by step guide: http://www.selfseo.com/thread-2895.php

9. ajones46 macrumors 6502

If you're a PC user, you could also use DVD decrypter/dvd43 + videora. Does the job for me.

10. mstrze macrumors 68000

The BEST thread to do exactly what you want AND it automates much of the process using Handbrake. It's extremely simple and laid out extremely well:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=805573

Been doing this for months now with no issues. I can rip and encode as many as 4 DVDs a day with hardly any intervention on my part. :)

11. Full of Win macrumors 68030

Full of Win

RipIt (OS X) --> .dvdmedia file --> Handbreak --> Compressed files for iDevices

12. Mr. Chewbacca macrumors 6502a

Mr. Chewbacca

I've been using cu cu soft. Its just to easy!!

The forum would not let me make cu cu soft one word, weird

13. rKunda macrumors 65816

rKunda

This. Works great.

I've only needed to do it a dozen or so times. I don't want/need all my DVDs on my computer, but sometimes it's handy!

14. Mr Kram macrumors 68000

Mr Kram

15. Jam14 macrumors newbie

You should try Magic DVD ripper, it is really fast. It takes about 20mins to burn a full movie. You can also get it for free buy searching in YouTube "how to get magic DVD ripper free" and it has heaps of results.

16. Angel32109 macrumors newbie

For TV Show?

With Handbrake, can you do TV shows too? I had cucu soft which worked well for movies, but I'd also like to do my seasons of TV shows that I have (like LOST or FRIENDS or The Office). Does anyone know a free program that will do this?

17. mchad macrumors member

yes it works for any dvd...you will have to rip each track though

18. Angel32109 macrumors newbie

How exactly does that work? How can you tell what a "track" is? Those files are usually named weird and I'm not as familar with those.

19. mchad macrumors member

once handbrake analyzes the dvd there will be a dropdown menu to select the track you want to rip...if you know how many episodes are on a disc there should be the same # of tracks that are about 40 minutes for 1 hour shows and 22 for 30 minute shows...you might just have to rip them all and sort out what episode is which after when you can watch it and see

20. Mr Kram macrumors 68000

Mr Kram

if you can't figure out which track(s) it is, play the dvd in the dvd player and see which title corresponds to which episode.

21. xlii macrumors 68000

xlii

In handbrake look at the length of time each track takes. A movie is an hour +, a TV show is about 40 minutes. Some of the special features are 10 minutes or less.

Plus, to rip using handbrake you also need VLC. Handbrake uses a library from VLC to get around the copy protection on DVD disks. Both are free. Plus make sure VLC and Handbrake are both 64 bit or are both 32 bit.

22. lewdvig macrumors 65816

+1 for Ripit. It does a great job with no thought required - no fussing with bit rates or whatever. Results are great.

I use the compress option and then tag with MetaX (which puts them into iTunes with all the tags and artwork).

Very simple workflow.

23. supermac96 macrumors 6502a

supermac96

why does everyone freak out about installous on this website but not illegally copying protected dvds?

24. kaielement macrumors 65816

Just use handbrake you won't ever need anything else.......