Any way to speed up wake-from-idle time on external USB 3.0 drive?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by shenan1982, Jan 22, 2013.

1. shenan1982 macrumors 68040

shenan1982

So I got my new iMac last week, and with it I upgraded my old Seagate GoFlex 2TB Firewire 800 to a 4TB Seagate GoFlex USB 3.0 drive.

The issue I have is whenever my computer is on the screen saver, or even when I am on the web surfing but not using the hard drive, the external drive goes into idle mode. Then when I open something like System Preferences, or sometimes another app, the drive wakes.

The noise of it spinning back up is annoying, but what's more annoying is that it basically causes a 1-2 second "delay" in everything, be it waking from screen saver, or opening a new app, etc, and I know that may not sound like long, but it's annoying as heck to me.

I know it's doing it to save energy, but is there a way to shorten this, or eliminate it so it doesn't do that? Are there other brands I should look at that don't sleep as soundly? I had a WD in the past and it did it, but only on USB 2.0 not on the FW800...

Ideas?

2. Towelie1288 macrumors regular

Towelie1288

do you leave the hard drive pluged in the computer
    i just unplug mine when i am done using it
    i have a WD 1 TB

3. shenan1982 thread starter macrumors 68040

shenan1982

No, it stays plugged in... it's partitioned to be my Time Machine backup drive. It sits on a backpack behind the iMac, so I don't want to reach around and unplug every time.