Any way to swap my 2 month old 2.4 Alu MB

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by LERsince1991, Jun 8, 2009.

1. LERsince1991 macrumors 65816

So ya I was just wondering if theres any way I can swap, upgrade, return and rebuy... just ANY way I can get the new macbook (pro) without like going on ebay and loosing money?

I bought my macbook on the 11th April with 14% discount cos of the student discount?

Lol, I knew this would happen, I knew I should have waited but I couldn't resist.

I have put it to very good use since though.

Luke.

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Nope. You'll have to sell it and then buy a new one.

3. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Sorry, no.

Selling and re-buying is your only real choice, aside from hoping there are so many issues with your current one that Apple replaces it.

4. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Just be happy with what you have. It's not like your machine is going to run any slower. Plus non user-replaceable batteries are stupid :-\

5. LERsince1991 thread starter macrumors 65816

It's just I will be using my macbook for about 5 years in uni doing high end architecture, engineering, CAD software, CS4 and all the latest software as it comes out etc...

2 months doesn't seem long for 5++ years usage.

What issues do they question the least when returning? ^^

6. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

on the flip side these updates are going to be so insignificant compared to what will be out in 5 years, why bother?

7. LERsince1991 thread starter macrumors 65816

Good point.
    True but I could also get the free iPod with the back to school offer and the macbook might be cheaper so theres a chance I might not loose any money if i think about this.

I guess I just hate the feeling I spent 2 years saving and theres a new one already haha

Not sure about UK prices though as the keynote only said about $

8. LERsince1991 thread starter macrumors 65816

I just feel a bit sick that I paid extra for the 2.4 model...

The price is lower, extra battery which is a massive bonus for when I'm working outside or just in general... backlit keyboard is standard... 4GB RAM... I have 2GB another £50 for the upgrade... free iPod with it... Slight spec bump

Is there any way I could return it to apple?
    What faults do they normally allow returns for?

Also the 8GB RAM upgrade will be helpful for future when RAM comes down in price... :(

9. LERsince1991 thread starter macrumors 65816

no one willing to help?
    :(
    I hate regret.
    Would it be possible to return it and say its faulty?
    What fault could it be?
    I appreciate that this is not good but argh... :(

10. kpark42 macrumors newbie

Well in my case my lid's slightly bent so it won't close completely and my battery is defective and has a health of 89% at just 3 cycles. Hmm..

11. aethelbert macrumors 601

No. If it were to be faulty, they would fix the problem and send you on your way.

12. Ricanlegend macrumors 6502a

WHY DIDNT YOU WAITED UNTILL WWDC ? :rolleyes: I been waiting for the wwdc 2 months and i glad i did, am getting tired of using my 10 year desktop :eek: APPle here i come :D

13. LERsince1991 thread starter macrumors 65816

And you still have it?

It's well weird you mentioned that about the screen, I just closed the lid thinking mine was perfect and one side is about 1mm higher than the other so only one side is touching the body when closed.

14. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says...c'mon...you have had it for over two months! In computer/electronics that is a long time...suck it up, or sell it and buy a new one. If Apple started giving everyone the option of grabbing a new laptop after such a period they'd either go broke or increase the prices to cover for it.

You've had the use of it for that time, and it continues to function just as well as it did yesterday, last week and last month...it has *years* of life left in it.

Yeah, it sucks a bit that you don't have the latest and greatest but if you always wait a couple months you'll never buy anything. Here's some news for you - there is *always* going to be a newer, faster, better one coming....oh yeah!

15. LERsince1991 thread starter macrumors 65816

My 5 year old Acer laptop was falling apart... BADLY!
    I had work to do on it and it just took the mick...

16. Ricanlegend macrumors 6502a

Sorry to hear that , dont be sad your computer should be good for another 5 years :D , like everybody in macrumors say technology always advance get used to it

17. calbin9 macrumors newbie

im in the same situation, EXCEPT i purchased a mac about 5 days ago. I feel really stupid for not waiting for the conference but macrumors said it was okay to buy in the guide lol.

I don't think i can return because i custom ordered the harddrive...anyone had any luck in this situation before?

18. LERsince1991 thread starter macrumors 65816

*Glap* Very good post :p
    I knew there was going to be the WWDC but I just thought minor spec bump so what... I could use the SD card slot with a DSLR and the screen etc.... But the major thing is the price drop :(
    With the money I would have saved I would have bought a DSLR camera and have got a free ipod...
    I loved the fact that I had the fastest macbook there is without going pro :p Oh I just wish...
    I know that tech advances fast and is always going to make you wish you had waited but I've never spent this much before on anything... Biggest purchase of my life :eek:

19. MacBook.Matt macrumors regular

You should have 14 days to return it. Contact Apple ASAP. Worst case scenario, they charge you the 10% restocking fee. You decide if its worth it.

20. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...you have 14 days to return your machine but you might get hit with a 10% restocking fee...

21. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

Sorry, OP, technology makes bit<#%$ of us all.

22. LERsince1991 thread starter macrumors 65816

Well I suppose... I just got a bit worked up because theres something better :eek:
    I just know when I got to uni theres gonna be a TON of people with the new macs which will think they are better than mine...

... Shame about 95% of them won't have a clue what they are doing with it, will lack software and tools and would have bought it cos they were told they pretty much need it. 5% of them will know what they are doing with the software and the laptop itself so I'm proud of that haha

23. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Well said, Duff-Man.

No offense dude, but that sounds pretty shallow. It is a computer, nothing more.

24. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Ah and so it begins. The phantom issues with the "old" laptops.

OP, you're SOL and your lid is 1mm off because you think it is off. ;)

25. FieryFurnace macrumors 6502

FieryFurnace

What should I say?
    I "only" have a white MB with X3100 - most students Macs are now already better then mine,...

You got a great machine! :)