Any way to tell if your phone is unlocked legitimately?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by 212rikanmofo, Aug 14, 2012.

1. 212rikanmofo macrumors 65816

For those with factory unlocked iphones and iphones that have been officially unlocked thru AT&T, is there a way to tell if your phone is unlocked besides entering your IMEI through those sites that check?

Do you guys have a 'carrier settings' section under your settings menu? I don't have a 3rd party SIM card to test it out. But I performed a factory unlock issued via AT&T. Did the backup, restore, restore from backup and never got that "congratulations your phone has been unlocked" from iTunes. So I'm contemplating whether or not my phone got unlocked successfully?

IMEI sites are reporting that my phone is unlocked though.

2. RocketRed macrumors 6502a

go to Machu Picchu, get a local microSIM card and pop it in.. if it works, you have an unlocked iPhone!

3. sentinelsx macrumors 68010

You probably missed that message in the middle of one of those steps.

Usually it shows up the first time you restore and your phone reboots. Before you even restore the backup. At least that is how it went with mine.

The carrier stuff remains after unlocking the phone too. Don't be confused by that.

4. 212rikanmofo thread starter macrumors 65816

I see, so you guys have a 'carrier settings' under your settings menu?

5. sentinelsx macrumors 68010

Yeah i used to have that (i don't have an iPhone anymore). It was originally from Rogers and still showed Rogers info in the settings and the carrier settings as well even after the unlock.

6. 212rikanmofo thread starter macrumors 65816

strange, cause I don't have that at all under my settings. Maybe it depends on the carrier's sim card that you put in your phone in order for it to show up.

7. sentinelsx macrumors 68010

Yep.

8. noodile macrumors regular

if IMEI site are saying its unlocked, then its unlocked. if you need that confirmed, then all you need is a different carrier sim.

When i unlocked an iPhone 4 last week, i used both these sites to confirm.

http://s-url.ro

http://www.dev.mk

9. twrunner macrumors newbie