Any way to use Verizon iPhone 4S 5.1 on Tmobile USA?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by johnny13oi, Apr 27, 2012.

1. johnny13oi macrumors member

Hey guys, I bought a Verizon iPhone 4S as a gift as I read there are a few SIM interposers that work but then found out it has iOS 5.1 and I am not sure if any of the SIM interposers work with that. I am trying to use this phone on Tmobile USA.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

2. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

Your post confuses me. First, you claim that you bought it as a gift, but later you say that you are trying to use it with t-mobile. So is it your phone or someone else's?

3. johnny13oi thread starter macrumors member

Sorry to clarify the phone will be used on Tmobile USA. It's still a birthday gift for my mom but I still don't see how that changes how to unlock it or not.

4. chrf097 macrumors 68040

chrf097

All iPhone 4Ses are universal. A T-Mobile SIM is compatible with the iPhone 4S, however, at this point in time there is no current way to unlock the iPhone 4S with iOS 5.1 to work with other SIMs.

5. johnny13oi thread starter macrumors member

Yeah that's what I thought. Thanks for the help. I read that the official unlock for the Verizon iPhone 4S is only good for international SIMs so I couldn't use that method either ... looks like my only option is to wait. I did purchase an iPhone 4 that is unlocked but it's not white and not the 4S lol.

6. JakeT85 macrumors regular

JakeT85

Wirelessly posted

If you could resell it and buy an AT&T version the new gevey sim will work on it with 5.1 installed. I've also heard with AT&T version you can take the one you buy into an apple store and get a replacement and call AT&T and since they don't have the IMEI in their system of phones under contract they will unlock It for you. I have never tried so can't speak from experience. Here is the link for the gevey. http://www.applenberry.com/gevey-ultra-s-gsm/

7. Tinmania macrumors 68040

Tinmania

The short answer to the OP's question is: not yet.

But as soon as 5.1 is jailbroken you will be able to use a gevey or other compatible unlock SIM to unlock a Sprint or Verizon iPhone 4S to work on TM.... or even AT&T. But you have to be jailbroken. This unlock does not require Sprint to unlock the iPhone. A Sprint unlock doesn't allow USA carriers to work. The gevey solution does.

A GSM iPhone 4S on 5.1 can be unlocked right now with a $20 gevey--no jailbreak needed. This one will do it:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=221005204977

Michael