Any way to verify iPhone is unlocked?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by 55test55, Sep 4, 2012.

1. 55test55 macrumors 6502

So im trying to unlock my iPhone 4, but i dont think its working...

I got the "ok" from att via email, but ive tried restoring the damned thing 3 times and i get NO flippin message! Any ideas where to go from here?

Appreciate it! :)

2. moosquared macrumors regular

moosquared

The SURE way is to get an non AT&T sim card and try it on the iPhone. if it works, it's factory unlocked. Borrow from a friend or buy one. I bought a T-Mobile sim on amazon for like $1. It only has a couple bucks in it, but I'm just using it for the iPhone test.

3. G-Mo macrumors 6502

G-Mo

Ask Apple or an AASP to check the serial number in the system.

I'm not sure what message you are expecting after a restore?

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Try this site.
    http://iphoneox.com/
    I had my iphone 4 unlocked from AT&T too.
    I never got the congradulations message on itunes either but works with Tmobile and any GSM sim now.
    And shows up unlocked on that site above.

5. raam89 macrumors member

It doesn't always show the "your iPhone is unlocked" message . I was paranoid and called ATT & apple several times to verify. They both checked their systems and confirmed mine is unlocked. I tried with a foreign sim card and it worked. 3 months after getting my sanctioned unlock, I had to restore my phone a couple of times due to unstable jailbreak. Every time I did a restore, I got a message in iTunes saying my iPhone is unlocked.

6. 55test55 thread starter macrumors 6502

OMFG it is NOT unlocking! What the hell can I do?!?!? :mad:

7. G-Mo macrumors 6502

G-Mo

What have you tried to confirm this?

PM me your serial number.

8. trozau macrumors regular

trozau

Thanks for the link. I, too, never got the unlocked message. Just checked mine and the rest of the family's and they are all unlocked! woohoo!

9. 55test55 thread starter macrumors 6502

Mine says its unlocked using iphoneox but using THIS LINK it says its locked. What about you guys? :confused:

10. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

Relax & take a breath.

What kind of timetable are you talking about? When did you ask, get the email, etc.?

11. Vesian, Sep 5, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2012

Vesian macrumors member

(nm, it finally worked lol)

12. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Lol :D
    It worked for all the iphones I checked.
    You're sure you're putting the IMEI number and not the serial number right?:D

Welcome bro.

13. moosquared macrumors regular

moosquared

Tried with mine. Same result as you.
    iphoneox says unlocked, but the other is locked.

I know it's unlocked because I've tried with multiple SIM card and also international SIM card. All worked perfectly.

14. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I heard some imei check sites give out false info and instead link you to purchase an imei unlock from them after.
    Dont fall for it and avoid such sites.
    Sounds like they're pulling a scam.

15. Siggen macrumors 6502

This is correct. You cannot trust IMEI checking sites.
    Your carrier should be able to check this if you ask their tech department, or if someone makes a case with their tech department. Although, the first time after this is done you need to restore your phone and use an original sim from when it was locked to unlock it. This the carrier cannot check if has been done. But you should see a ONE TIME ONLY message with congratulations, your phone is unlocked in iTunes (this will not come the recurring times you restore).

To check, its not always enough to check with a None standard sim card, some carriers piggy back on others, and a lot of times sim cards from these work on locked sim cards of the "father" company and vise versa. So you want to use a sim card that is from a company that has different reception coverage (this distinguishes the piggybacking companies next to always).

My tip for you, is to call in to the carrier your phone is locked at, tell them you have problems unlocking. And ask that they try to order an unlock once more, they might refuse cause they are stupid retards (sorry its sometimes a fact), tell them a telecom technician told you this might fix your problem (I'm an electronics technician that used to work in a telecom company so your not lying). If they use the newest method of ordering unlock at the apple server this should be next to instant. But ask them how long it will take before you should restore, if they say you can do it instantly still wait til after the call is done. If they say very soon, wait an hour, or what they tell you to wait (and an hour more).

When you restore, have the original sim ready (or a sim card from the original carrier, it might be complicated to use one that does not work, so use one that works). Remove any sim card from your phone, then restore (backup if you will first, i dont care). When it is done restoring, you can insert your original sim in the phone before it boots if you want to, or else you might have to reboot again. Now if you want to activate without iTunes, i suggest you have a wifi with working internet connection ready, if not, connect it to your iTunes on a computer with working internet (I suggest you do it on the phone, you might have problems doing this in itunes if the computer has ever jailbroken a iOS device, you wont probably have problems, but you want to be sure this time right?)

Success?