Any way verify an iPhone unlock works without another carriers sim?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by falconman515, Sep 24, 2012.

1. falconman515 macrumors 6502a

falconman515

I have an iPhone 4S that I am selling (just bought the iP5) and had unlocked ... I went through the entire process after I received my confirmation of plugging into iTunes and doing the restore and once completed I got the screen stating "Congratulations, Your iPhone has been unlocked"

I am confident of course that this phone is now unlocked but other then say putting in a valid T-Mobile sim to make sure it works on that network is there any other way to know for sure that this is unlock is indeed complete?

My buyer lives out of state and I would really like to be able to confirm the unlock works 100% prior to shipping (he is only using on T-Mobile so if it doesn't for some reason we will have to go though a not fun process of returning etc. etc.)

Thanks so much for the info guys. :)

2. Simon86 macrumors member

I would recommend borrowing a sim card from someone, maybe from a friend?

I moved from the UK to Canada earlier this year, and a few months prior to leaving the UK had requested that my phone be unlocked. The carrier happily unlocked the phone. However, when I got to Canada I found the phone had either a) re-locked itself, or b) not been unlocked. I had to email my previous carrier to request an unlock again.

3. falconman515 thread starter macrumors 6502a

falconman515

I wonder if I head to my local T-Mobile store would they pop a sim in for me and verify the unlock works!

Gonna call and see.

4. falconman515 thread starter macrumors 6502a

falconman515

Spoke with the store and unfortunately they have no valid sims in store that actually work to be able to test to make sure if work on their network.

They can sell you a $10 pre-paid micro-sim and it can be verified that way!

For me the 10 bucks is worth it to e able to test this phone for my buyer since I know he will be throwing a fit if it's not unlocked and doesn't work on T-Mobile ... so I'm gonna buy it so I can confirm 100% it's good to go.

Just wanted to let you all know of this option if you are really needing to confirm the unlock works.

5. ijfry macrumors newbie

Settings -> Carrier -> uncheck ON and wait for it to display the options.

If you only see one carrier, you are locked.

If you see multiple, it is unlocked.

6. rritterson macrumors 6502

the at&t carrier bundle hides the carrier setting even on an unlocked phone. I know this from personal experience as I have both AT&T and T-mobile SIMs for my unlocked iPhone 4.

7. RotaryP7 macrumors 6502a

What? That doesn't work if you have AT&T and it certainly doesn't mean if you're locked or unlocked. I have an unlocked 4S and it doesn't give me the Carrier option.

8. ijfry macrumors newbie

Oh bummer. It works here in Canada.

9. falconman515 thread starter macrumors 6502a

falconman515

Just decided to be sure and purchase the $10 pre-paid T-Mobile SIM ... works perfect!

Thanks so much for all the help guys! :)