HomeKit any way with google or Siri to temporarily turn on/off hue motion sensor?

madeirabhoy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 26, 2012
I have philips hue bulbs all over the house, and I have sensors in hall, kitchen, spare room, bathroom. I love not having to press a button. however in most of those rooms there are situations where I want to say something like 'okay google switch off bathroom sensor for an hour' because im going to have a bath, for example. or when someone is staying over in the spare bedroom, 'hey Siri switch off the bedroom sensor'.

I know I can do it by opening the hue app, going to accessories, and flicking the switch to turn it off, then doing the same again to turn it on, but this is a (minor) pain and also I have to remember to turn it back on again.

StumpyBloke

macrumors 68000
Apr 21, 2012
England
I’ve looked into this in the past and it certainly is not supported directly. I wish it was because I would use it quite often rather than having to keep going into the app as you say. Here’s hoping someone comes up with a solution.

Reactions: madeirabhoy

madeirabhoy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 26, 2012
is there any easy way to suggest this to Philips as there's lots of simple ways they could solve it.

just thinking about this again as I have only 1 room in my apartment that's not smart and it bugs the hell out of me. our main bathroom.

the spare bathroom is a great example of hue at its best. two sets of two bulbs, connected to a sensor, bright light during the day, night light at night. we don't often shower there so its fine and actually with the shape of the bathroom the sensor is sort of pointing at the shower curtain so it tends to stay on.

but for our main bathroom, where we use the most, its the only room we have to press an old button and it annoys me every time I walk in. I keep going to buy some bulbs and another sensor but I keep hitting this brick wall, what do we set it to do? if I set the sensor on a long timer im wasting electricity every time we walk in and wash hands. if I put it on a short timer itll go off every time we shower. and the shape of the room means if I point the sensor towards the shower then the lights wont come on in time when we walk in.

if anyone from Philips is reading....if only...

either :
1. add a third option to the 'when there is no motion' which is go back to what was before. at the moment there is switch off, or do nothing. if it was return to previous, then I could have a dimmer switch unit stuck outside, if im showering I press the on button, if im not I don't.

2. allow me to set the 'night time' to do different to the day time. then I can cheat and have one of them 8am to 9am and have it set to do nothing. all I can do at the minute is choose the brightness.

3. allow a siri or google phrase, 'hey google keep bathroom lights on for 20 mins' to override the settings.

dotme

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2011
Iowa
2. allow me to set the 'night time' to do different to the day time. then I can cheat and have one of them 8am to 9am and have it set to do nothing. all I can do at the minute is choose the brightness.
Homekit (Home app) may let you do this. I run a ton of my Hue automations in Homekit these days. Coupled with an app called Hesperus, the control over lighting is far better IMHO than the stock hue app. Of course, an AppleTV 4 or iPad as a Homekit Hub is an important part of that setup.

Reactions: madeirabhoy