iPad Any Wi-Fi buyers tempted by the T-Mobile/200MB iPad Mini/Air?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by jpiszcz, Oct 31, 2013.

1. jpiszcz macrumors regular

Always bought WiFi iPad's for the most part, is anyone tempted to try out the T-Mobile / Cellular version or do you plan on sticking with the WiFi version?

2. Shadow%20Mac macrumors 6502

Incredibly tempted. I've always been a WiFi only iPad owner, because I can always tether from my iPhone, but this offer is incredibly tempting.

3. Brittany246 macrumors 6502a

It's cheaper for me to tether my phone to my iPad to use my 2.5 gb of data. I don't think it's worth spending 130 more dollars for 200 mb of free data a month. That's barely anything.

4. Dizzy810 macrumors member

I am. I currently have a iPad 1 with 3g and have never used the cellular on it. Never felt like adding it to my account and paying the extra $10 a month for it since I can just use my phone as a hotspot. This time around I was just going to go with WiFi, but with free data from T-Mobile I am really debating what I am going to do. I'm not sure its worth the extra $130 since I rarely take it out of the house, but it would be nice to have from time to time.

5. cardfan macrumors 65816

Yep. Run a speedtest. Oops..out of data..lol

6. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

Yes. WIFI to TMo LTE version switcher here. For my uses, rss feed app, maps, imessage. Edge is a-ok.

So for the few times it leaves home on vacations with me, like NYC coming up. Gonna be handy not to have to tether, and iPhone batt. drain and have real GPS.

Yes. One Speedtest.net app run on LTE uses about 80MB. I'd highly recommend against that. I'll likely leave the LTE ticked off. Their 4G is plenty fast. I do with my iPhone.

7. nostresshere macrumors 68030

If you in the car, stuck somewhere without wifi, hotel that wants 14.95 to connect, etc.... having cellular for even a small amount of usage is awesome. Can not imagine not having cellular. ATT has 1 month and 3 month packages for low price, no contract. And of course the T-Mo deal.

8. ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

Yep. Thought I would be a wi-fi tablet owner forever, but T-Mobile has brought me exactly what I need, and even mitigates the extra cost by offering an interest free loan.

To those who laugh about 200mb lasting 5 minutes or whatever, try to understand there are 7 billion people in the world and not everyone has exactly the same needs as you do.

9. Guitarpik macrumors member

Im tempted but I use my iPad 99% of the time at home and I just can't justify paying $130 more for the chip. Let alone that I have to spend $200 extra to get another 48gb.

10. silver25u macrumors member

I'm strongly considering going the wifi > TMO route for the interest free financing plus lifetime 200MB/mo. My concern at this point is any fine print to get the 200MB/mo. I stopped by a local TMO and they knew nothing - in fact less than nothing. Looking online there seems to be alot of confusion if there are strings for the lifetime free (although small) monthly data.

11. csrini1 macrumors regular

With all the confusion with 200mb free data, I am planning to buy the tmobile ipad from appple tomorrow morning and if the 200mb stuff doesn't work out, we have 2 weeks anyway to return it and just get the wifi only ipad.

12. 3rdiguy macrumors 6502a

3rdiguy

I'm sold. I just ordered the free tmobile nano sim online and in a couple weeks with get the tmobile 64gb air. I never thought I would get a cellular version but tmobile's deal changed my mind rather quickly. I don't have great credit so I pay half upfront but that's way better than paying all at once and I can pay the rest over next few months no problem.

13. Yuck Mouth macrumors member

I'm interested.

I've never owned a cellular anything in my life. If I buy the tablet from Apple can I set the whole thing up over the tablet without going to a T-Mobile store?

14. eagleglen macrumors 6502a

eagleglen

I've had an Att iPad and then a Verizon, but with both I only activated the cellular service a few times. T-mobile seems ideal for my usage, plus they are offering Day Passes with 500MB for $5 and weekly ones with 1GB for $10. I can see myself using those most often and keeping the free data allotment for Find My iPhone tracking and occasional directions.

My only concern is their smaller coverage area and that roaming is not permitted with the free data. Although, if you purchase data, you can roam internationally now for free. So many details to consider.

I wish I could tether from my iPhone, but I have the grandfathered Att unlimited plan which doesn't permit it.

15. leosaysfosho macrumors newbie

I am tempted, but I just can't decide on how much memory I want...32GB or 64GB! decision decisions...

16. doxielover macrumors 6502a

doxielover

Same dilemma you are in :(

17. aka777 macrumors 6502a

The LTE version of the ipads are awesome. Basically, switch on the device and the data is right there. No messing around with anything to get it going.

Much better than using a smartphone when on the go.