Any word about the free Google turn by turn navigation in all this Google/Apple mess?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by christall109, Jan 22, 2010.

1. christall109 macrumors 6502

I'm getting really worried that Google's free turn by turn ability that shipped with Android 2.0 will not be coming to the iPhone. Has anyone heard or seen anything refering to this in all the recent stories? I always assumed it would make it's way in as an update to the existing stocks application in iPhone OS 4.0.

What do you guys think?

2. countrydweller macrumors 6502

countrydweller

May never happen, use one of the many already available.

3. fishkorp macrumors 68020

fishkorp

Doubt it.

And if the rumors are to be believed, Google Maps will be replaced by Virtual Earth in an update.

4. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

Apple purchased their own mapping company back in July. It’s likely that “Maps” will be updated to use Apple’s new in-house map intellectual property. Then Apple can provide turn by turn directions via the iPhone SDK.

Practically all map content is supplied by NAVTEQ and Tele Atlas anyway. Google Maps, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, etc all get their maps from either provider. So it’s not going to matter much anyway unless you like the Google-specific features (street view, etc).

5. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Might be included with iPhone OS 4.0, we will find out soon.

6. tritonj macrumors 6502a

not going to happen, Google has to keep some features exclusive to Android as a selling point

7. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

The Apple apps only get updated when the whole OS gets updated. Wait until 4.0 comes out before you start wondering what's going on.

So you think they're gonna give up on potential map revenue just to sell a few more phones?

I'm pretty sure they make far more money on maps than they plan on making with cell phones. (Remember, they don't actually make the Nexus 1 by themselves, they have to share that profit with the actual hardware maker.)

Why would they hurt their cash cow just to make a few extra bucks?

8. christall109 thread starter macrumors 6502

I do remember when it was first released everyone was absolutely sure it was coming to the iPhone or at least google was in talks to bring it to the iPhone:

http://m.gizmodo.com/site?sid=gizmo...turn+by+turn-mobile-app?op=post&refId=5391408
    (Sorry I'm on my iPhone: just google "gizmodo google turn by turn iPhone" to get to the full site)

Also I remember that the reason Apple bought that Map company wasn't for replacing googles maps but just for the APIs that could be layered on top of googles maps. This make more sense to me.

9. tritonj macrumors 6502a

well considering they don't even allow push for Gmail on an iPhone i'd say it is a pretty good indication they don't have a problem with keeping certain features off. and now with all the talk about Bing becoming the default search, i'm sure, that Bing Maps won't be far behind in replacing Google Maps

10. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

They provided push by offering G-Mail through Exchange.

Just because they didn't put push in their IMAP you can't say they "don't allow push." Yeah, they do. Just in a different way than you think they should, I guess.

Your last post implied that Google would withhold the new map program. I was responding to that.

Now you've flipped it around and are giving reason Apple would want to keep it off.

I find this argument to have more merit. This makes sense. But you can't use it to argue against my points from last week. That's an entirely different conversation.

If you want to start over and say that this is your new argument then, yeah, I'll agree with you on this one.

11. tritonj macrumors 6502a

i am referring to push IMAP

as for the Bing issue, it is part of the same argument. the fact that Apple is possibly moving to Bing for search could make Google less inclined to want to allow turn by turn on an iphone. it clearly shows that there is some sort of a strain and the argument then is that the strain is a possible cause for the feature to be left out.

12. TwoBytes macrumors 68020

TwoBytes

So, a few months have passed, a few evil stairs, comments, one coffee between the titans... Do we think the free google maps navigation will be included?

The 3D photo image navigation is out of this world.. look so good http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGXK4jKN_jY

13. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

From the looks of it I dont think its happening.
    It would have been a main point in todays keynote if all iphones shipped with free turn by turn navigation by Google.

14. str1f3 macrumors 68000

The name "Google" wasn't even mentioned in the announcement. It was only referred to as a point of derision by Jobs about ads.

If you listen to the announcement there were supposed to be 10 major features but Jobs said he was only going to talk about 7.

There is a real possibility it could be introduced at WWDC along with the new iPhone. As for Apple's own Maps app, it Needs to have Street View whenever it's released. This is the best part about Google Maps.