Any word on iPad 2 compatibility with the original keyboard dock?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by BlakeLiebenTH, Mar 3, 2011.

1. BlakeLiebenTH macrumors member

I, like many people, recently sold my iPad in anticipation of the iPad 2. However, I'm not really sure what I should do with my keyboard dock as I am not sure if the iPad 2 will be compatible with it. No where on the Apple website (that I can find) does it have any mention of an old or new keyboard.

So I was just wondering, have you guys head anything regarding iPad 2's compatibility/incompatibility with the keyboard dock?

:apple:

2. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

all previous accessories (except the case) still work with the iPad 2

3. BlakeLiebenTH thread starter macrumors member

4. nagromme macrumors G5

nagromme

Not all: electrically, accessories may by compatible; but the two devices are different physical shapes. So many docks won’t work. I’d worry that one of these three issues MIGHT be a problem:

* The partly-recessed, Touch-like angled dock connector on the new iPad might not connect right with some old docks?

* The rear support plastic might not properly support the new thinner iPad, leaving all the tension on the connector? (But you could add padding of your own.)

* The new iPad gets thicker than the old one—not overall, just at one certain point (maybe an inch in from the edge)—and might not even fit in the dock’s plastic socket?

Time will tell!

I really want a keyboard dock when I get my iPad 2: more stable than a regular dock, for one thing! And it would make a great couch-side Internet station, on an end-table, or in a kitchen. So I’m hoping it works fine once people test it. But I’m not buying a dock until I know :)

I really wish Apple would sell a new keyboard dock. That blank key could become FaceTime: to launch FT and choose a contact, as well as to accept an incoming call.

5. undies1993 macrumors 6502a

I had an online chat with one of Apple's online representatives and she assured me the first generation iPad keyboard dock would work for the iPad 2.

What do you guys think about the smart covers? Worth it?

6. openendstraight macrumors regular

openendstraight

OH, that really reassures me.

Just look at the profiles of each, sure it will work, but will it be stable, and hold the second gen like the first? I say no. It seems from the pics that any dock that relies on the contour of the ipad to hold it's self up would not work properly.

7. poloponies Suspended

As an owner of the original keyboard dock I can wholeheartedly recommend that you get the Apple bluetooth keyboard instead. I hate the keyboard dock.

8. undies1993 macrumors 6502a

Why do you hate the keyboard dock?

9. undies1993 macrumors 6502a

I think it will work. The keyboard dock barely relies on the contours of the iPad. The dock supports the ipad with something to lean on, the ipad does not support itself by fitting into a specific slot.

10. openendstraight macrumors regular

openendstraight

OK, so your saying the keyboard dock's profile doesn't match exactly with the iPads profile?

Since it is 1/3 the thickness, you also think the the dock connector will be in the exact spot (from front to back of the iPad)?

Will it sit at the same angle? Meaning the part of the keyboard dock that holds up the iPad will hold it the same angle as the original.

Seeing how they differ in thickness and profile, I don't think it will hold it as well as it does the original. I am not saying it will not, just don't be surprised if it doesn't.

11. thibaulthalpern macrumors regular

I don't own a keyboard dock but I can answer this question! :)

For one thing, the keyboard dock constricts your iPad to be used at a very close up distance. You can't reposition your iPad further back. That's stupid. Why not get a bluetooth keyboard for the same price? Okay, so without some kind of stand, you won't be able to prop up your iPad or iPad 2. No problem. Go to Office Depot and get a bookstand for less than $10. It'll work.