Any word on the Samsung M6 (500GB @ 9.5mm)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by yaddam205, Apr 28, 2008.

1. yaddam205 macrumors member

I remember reading an article on the Samsung M6 awhile back but have yet to see it on sale or any word of a release date.

Any clues?

A possible option in rumored 'June' Update?

2. galstaph macrumors 6502a

galstaph

I was actually looking at that as well, seems they talk about it on samsungs website, but it is still not apparently shipping as it was supposed to in march. Would love to get one of these for my mbp...

3. xpovos macrumors 6502a

xpovos

Your guess is as good as mine. I keep reading about how it has been released to retailers for general consumption---for about a month now.

4. ilp macrumors member

I think OWC Larry mentioned that his sales rep hinted at mid-May release.

I am giving up and going to 320GB. I'm sure that I would've been paying an early-adopter price for that 500GB anyways and I want to see some user reports first to make sure it's not unusually noisy or anything like that.

5. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

No, it was shipped to OEMs, not retailers.

6. klagermkii macrumors member

Even so, I haven't seen any laptop OEMs mention this 500GB drive. The only 500GB drive which was doing the rounds was a Hitachi one in an Asus laptop (that drive is too big to fit in the MBP though).

I'm going to wait till June before I throw in the towel and go with a 320GB. With these kinds of delays, and the inability of the other drive makers to build a similar one of this size, I'm a little worried this drive may just turn out to be too difficult to make or plain unreliable.

7. OWC Larry macrumors member

OWC Larry

Our account manager at Samsung has indicated we'll have availability towards the end of this month.

I really don't know why companies do the types of releases they sometimes do that imply immediate or near immediate availability. :)

8. kgeier82 macrumors 65816

got the following today from ZZF:

Dear Valued Shopper:

You had recently requested to be notified when the item,
    10007989: HITACHI Travelstar 5K500 0A53487 500GB SATA 5400 RPM 8MB Buffer Mobile Hard Drive Bulk
    becomes available again for purchase on ZipZoomFly.com.
    This item has indeed come back in stock -- come by and pick it up now!

Click here to go directly to the item page:
    http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=10007989

Hope to see you online soon!

IT IS THE 12.5mm version though, btu good to see they are starting to show up. I just bought 2 320s (both WD, both external, one ELITE, one Essential).

the elite went back because it was 180$ from best buy, drive was silent as day though.

the essential is going back to microcenter, it clicks/tocks every 5 seconds, very annoying. the elite did not do this at all.

both got a new leopard install, and put into my new mbp.

9. Mackan macrumors 65816

It's always a paper launch. Takes 6 months or something before you can actually buy them.

10. WorldIRC macrumors 6502

BTW for those of you with 17" MBP, the Hitachi 12.5mm should fit according to OWC!

11. yaddam205 thread starter macrumors member

12. ceehjayem macrumors regular

So is it confirmed we're looking at about 2 weeks for this thing to be available?