iPhone XS Max Any XS MAX owners planning to “upgrade” to the XR2?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Adelphos33, Jun 7, 2019.

1. Adelphos33 macrumors 6502a

I have a fully paid MAX and I am considering it. I assume I would be able to get an unlocked XR2 at no additional cost by trading in my Max. With the XR2, you get

1) The latest processor
    2) Presumably longer battery life
    3) A dual camera, with the back camera upgraded to the latest specs
    4) A smaller footprint

You only lose OLED, 3D Touch and slimmer bezels, but 3D Touch is being phased out anyway

Is it me or wouldn’t the 2019 XR be a better phone than the 2018 MAX?

2. akash.nu macrumors 604

akash.nu

I use 3D Touch a lot to let go off just like that. The only thing I might upgrade for is the camera.

3. jagolden macrumors 6502a

jagolden

You left out losing what I consider considerable screen acreage.
    I’ll never go backwards after having the Max.

4. metalsiren macrumors 6502

metalsiren

Yea my wife’s XR is nice but I like end to end screen with little bezel

5. DevinNj macrumors 6502a

Telephoto lens and I’m in. It’s the only thing that kept me from the XR.

6. Jack Neill macrumors 6502

Jack Neill

I just got a XS, prolly not going to get a 2019 iPhone until 2020

7. prospervic macrumors 6502

prospervic

Totally going this route. I’ll be getting a (slightly) more pocketable phone, still have dual rear lenses, and save $450 over a new Max (stepping down from 256gb to 128gb).

8. Zaft macrumors 68040

Zaft

Nope

9. tonybarnaby macrumors 65816

The phrase “fully paid off Max” made me laugh out loud.

10. Ceviche Lover macrumors regular

I have an XS Max but think I’m going to trade it in for the smaller XS next round.

11. Newtons Apple, Jun 8, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2019

Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

Plan on getting what replaces the max. If it is not worthy, I will keep the max.

12. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

Bolded: Being technical here, but you missed that you actually would lose a difference of water resistance from the IP67>XR to IP68>XS. (Also which I’m assuming the XR2 may not adopt the latest water resistance on the iPhone in 2019.)

13. Shanghaichica macrumors G4

Shanghaichica

Exactly. I’d have to go to the XI max or whatever it’s called.

Not going back to a non Oled 828p display.
    --- Post Merged, Jun 8, 2019 ---
    Don’t you want the wide angle lens?

Rumours are suggesting the XR2 will have the telephoto lens but lack a third wide angle lens which will be on the next Max.

14. Tsepz macrumors 68030

Tsepz

Nah, why would I leave an XS Max for a low end model with a smaller display?

If the XI Max is good enough of an upgrade I may consider it, but I am more likely to get what follows the XI, the XII Max or the XI S Max....or whatever they end up calling it

15. Falhófnir macrumors 68040

Falhófnir

3D touch is 95% gone in iOS 13 either way, so unless you plan on staying with iOS 12, you're losing it anyway.

16. ksec macrumors 6502a

Depending on Modem, Antenna, may be XR2 could be as fast as Max. Otherwise Apple might keep the XR in 600Mbps Category.

Any reason why not the 2019 XS Max?

But I think you make a good point, assuming the new Camera Lens and Sensor is better, newer Modem from Intel 7660, better Antenna, Faster SoC, Same Memory ( 4GB ), apart from the Screen ( Personally I like LCD better ), XR 2 could actually be a better than Max.

When was the last time Apple had a Flagship outdated this quick? I think it is a very good question. Worth some thought.

17. BigMcGuire Contributor

BigMcGuire

I'm keeping my Xs MAX at least until 2021. Going to try to go for 2+ years for the first time with this iPhone. I find that I'm using my iPad and MBP a lot more these days, vs my iPhone --- unlike the last 3-4 years where I used my iPhone a lot more.

My XS Max battery is still almost 300 mAh over design capacity - even after almost a year of usage.

But I'm getting old ... kinda tired of always getting the latest and greatest - my bank account will thank me too after this Xs Max (Apple Upgrade Plan - so not as painful).

18. akash.nu macrumors 604

akash.nu

Apple is not going to disable existing features from 3D Touch supported devices just because it’s iOS 13.

19. Falhófnir macrumors 68040

Falhófnir

They literally have - loads of videos about it on youtube, every phone including all the ones with pressure sensitive displays now use haptic touch instead.

20. bambooshots macrumors 65816

bambooshots

Your “no additional cost” comment confuses me.

How will it be no additional cost? I doubt you’ll be able to get more than $600 upon trade in of an XS MAX later this year.

21. akash.nu macrumors 604

akash.nu

This will be disaster if true. I’ll install the beta version on one of our test devices and checkout. Thanks for the info.

22. DevinNj macrumors 6502a

--- Post Merged, Jun 8, 2019 ---

Don’t you want the wide angle lens?

Rumours are suggesting the XR2 will have the telephoto lens but lack a third wide angle lens which will be on the next Max.[/QUOTE]

It'd be nice to have but doesn't do much for me. I'm more about the added zoom of the telephoto lens, my son plays various sports and I've liked some of the shots I've taken.

23. Falhófnir macrumors 68040

Falhófnir

Yeah it's certainly unfortunate, I was expecting it to be sunset on the 6s-Xs, still there but not getting updated any further but apparently they want to get us ready for it to be removed for good on the XI series. Much of the functionality looks to have been retained, but for one thing its going to feel slower tapping and holding, and it also looks like the pop part of peek and pop is gone :(

24. ksec macrumors 6502a

I guess that depends on your Region. I just checked on eBay, I am not sure if those can be trusted, but people are selling 2nd hand iPhone XS Max for roughly $900. And Trade in Price is similar in Asia and China. May be it will drop a hundred or two when new iPhone release, but you should still get roughly $700 out of it.

As a matter of fact, the iPhone X trade in price is still at $550 right now. Pretty damn good if you ask me for a 1 year and half phone.

25. Zaft macrumors 68040

Zaft

There really is no big change in phones now.
    An iPhone 7 is perfectly fine and does 90% of what the newer iPhones do.