Anybody actually tried a 7200RPM drive in the new MacBook? Extreme vibration!

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by TxMacAddict, Oct 18, 2008.

1. TxMacAddict macrumors 6502

I was planning on putting my 7200 RPM 320GB Scorpio Black Hard drive in the new MacBook but the first thing I noticed when I did was the vibration was rediculous. I didn't have this problem with the Macbook Pro I took it out of.. Its looking to me like its a result of the way they mfg. such a stiff case.

Hopefully theirs some kind of mod that will keep the vibration down... I love the new design.

Anybody else tried it yet and had different results?

2. oli84 macrumors newbie

Yes, I'm using the seagate 7200.3 320gb 7200rpm drive with it and it doesn't vibrate. I did transfer the mounting screws from the old drive to the new one so maybe that helped with stability, although I initially placed it without the mounting screws and there wasn't any vibration.

3. taylorwilsdon macrumors 68000

taylorwilsdon

Doesn't sound right. You probably need to screw it in harder, and if that doesn't help, try adding silicon grommets to the screws to dampen the vibrations.

4. TxMacAddict thread starter macrumors 6502

I installed it exactly the way the factory drive is installed (mounts etc.) and when I switched back to the factory drive the vibration goes away. Going to keep playing with it as I really want the extra space.

5. whatevs macrumors member

Did you ever resolve how to deal with the vibration?

I just installed a 320 GB 7200 WD Scorpio Black in my white macbook. It's not noisy, but there is a constant vibration.

I'm leaving town for a month and can't really send it back and get a new one in time. Is this something that I can RMA with WD later? Does re-installing the drive help?

Thanks!

6. TxMacAddict thread starter macrumors 6502

I ended up selling the drive on Craigslist... lost about $20 bucks but I couldn't stand the vibration on my hands and in my lap. I'm looking at the 5400RPM 500 GB by Seagate as a possibility but I haven't pulled the trigger yet.

7. John Jacob macrumors 6502a

John Jacob

I have exactly the same drive, and exactly the same Macbook (2.4GHz Unibody)...

... and no vibrations at all. Absolutely none. My Macbook is perfectly silent with the new drive, excepting when the fans come on due to my doing some heavy work. In fact, even the fans are pretty noiseless.