Anybody else buy an iMac 15 to 30 days ago and feel ripped off by the new one?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by acedesign, Apr 29, 2008.

1. acedesign macrumors newbie

Well, i bought mine 30 days ago and absolutely love it, but hate the fact that the new 3.06Ghz came out. I called apple and they wouldn't do anything. However, they did end up giving me $45 off my next purchase of $300 or more. Has anybody else try to talk to them about this or received any better offers?

2. bigjnyc macrumors 601

bigjnyc

new products come out and get updated all the time, especially in electronics and computers. why do you feel ripped off? plus it was all over the forums and blogs that the imac was going to be updated soon.

3. akm3 macrumors 68020

Also, the Buyer's Guide clearly said "Don't buy! Updates soon!"

That said, don't feel too ripped off. None of these updates are mind-blowingly better than the previous ones. They are always an incremental improvement. 5-15% better performance in certain tasks. Other than the 8800gs which smokes the 2600 for games - which you shouldn't have bought an (old) iMac in the first place if games were an issue.

Your machine is good, fast and will last you for years. Don't feel burnt about it.

In the future though, if you CAN wait, follow the advice of the buyers guide. Sometimes you end up waiting a lot longer than you want, but you'll never have the buyers remorse you feel right now.

4. Lancetx macrumors 68000

Lancetx

I bought an iMac in mid March knowing full well that updates could come at any time, but I simply didn't want to wait any longer. So no, I don't feel ripped off any whatsoever, and am still very happy with the refurbished iMac that I bought. In hindsight, I'm actually glad I didn't wait any longer because these updates didn't end up coming until nearly 6 full weeks after I made my purchase anyway.

5. hotshotharry macrumors 6502

OMG!!!! lol if you spent any more than 5 mins on this site you would have been fully aware that updates were on the horizon! That is the exact reason people were waiting, having said that, you must have needed your imac or you would have waited ;-)

And honestly it will only make a difference for the people who need the performance boost, for those surfing the net or looking at pics, i will make absolutely no perceptible difference anyways. After all your imac still does exactly what you bought it to do right? ....

LOL!!!!!! Unbeleivable ....

6. Le Big Mac macrumors 68020

Le Big Mac

It never ceases to amaze me that the people who most "need the speed" seem to complain the most vociferously when new models are introduced.

I would have thought anyone who needed to have the fastest, newest machine would be the most careful about timing their purchase.

7. jamie329 macrumors member

You need to look up the definition of getting ripped off. Because it can basically only mean two things:

1. Not getting what you paid for
    2. Being stolen from

When you bought your iMac 30 days ago, you got the model that you paid for. Also, you weren't stolen from. So guess what? You weren't ripped off!

The tech world moves quick, if you can't accept that, then go back to using pen and paper. Apple owes you nothing. Even if there weren't rumors of a pending release, they would still owe you nothing. However, like the other posters said, it was pretty obvious that an update was near. So there's definitely someone to blame for this, but it's not Apple.

8. akm3 macrumors 68020

I don't know, buying Apple priced hardware often FEELS like your being stolen from (in an extortion context) :)

9. za9ra22 macrumors 6502

I bought TWO 24" 2.4 iMacs last month, one for work and one for home. Since I worked out what it was I needed, and the iMacs fit the bill and then some, the fact new models have come out that push performance standards a bit is of no great interest or concern to me at all, because my two systems do exactly what I need them to do, have more than adequate capacity to cope with new tasks over the next few years, and were not bought with an eye to having the latest and greatest, just the best fit for my needs.

The real argument here is not that new stuff has been released, but that it's come out at the same price. There are two ways to look at that - one is to think I've been cheated because I already paid the same for something not so good as what came next, or second, that Apple should have hiked the price for new buyers so they had to pay more to get more.

The first is not rational - The new model may be the same price, but I gained in productivity and enhanced user experience by buying earlier. The second is neither realistic in the marketplace, nor fair to new purchasers who have done nothing to justify being punished by artificially hiked prices.

10. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

I helped a good friend (who also happens to be my boss) buy one just last week. He could probably get Apple to replace it, but he's not bothered (I did warn him that an update was likely any time). It's just as good a machine now as it was last week. He's had a few days to play with it, transfer his data and get used to the Mac experience (he's a switcher), and he's happy as a pig in whatsit. He came and thanked me again for helping him switch this very morning.

Ripped off? Hardly. He got exactly what he paid for, and is content with that. If he'd been willing to wait longer, he'd have waited =]

11. PCNot macrumors newbie

I have been in the Market for a new IMAC for abouyt 3 months. I am glad I waited ....

12. veeco3110 macrumors 6502

veeco3110

i bought my imac on march 4. i couldnt wait anymore. im happy with my mac. the speed boost really isnt needed for me for what i ues my computer for. only thing is that its like ohhhh man i dont have the newest thing...oh well

13. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I don't think you should feel ripped off. Your computer still does everything that you got it for.

14. chaosbunny macrumors 68000

chaosbunny

Yes I know I feel ripped off too! I bought my 2,8 ghz iMac 8 months ago under the impression they would never update them again! :)

15. SDDave2007 macrumors regular

want some cheese with that whine?

16. kkat69 macrumors 68020

kkat69

|-------------------------------|
    | Please don't feed the Trolls! |
    |-------------------------------|

You guys do realize this poster will never return right?

He's either someone who just registered so he can stir up trouble "HA let's see how they feel... take THAT Mac guys"
    or (the more likely)
    He's a current member who registered under a different email so he can post without revealing his true forum name.

Chaosbunny, like your Avatar. I have the Downward Spiral on my right calf. Hardly anyone knows what it is and think it's tribal art.

17. Lord Sam macrumors regular

Lord Sam

Ouch. That kind of sucks. But that's always what's happening. If you buy a product, and new one comes out the next day, you get really pissed. But lets just say you wait for the new one, buy it and are glad you waited. Two months later, another one comes out. There's always something better on the horizon with technology. Too bad though.

18. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

please you knew what you were getting 15 days ago and AGREED to pay for it. suck it up and stop complaining

why do these threads always appear after an update.....

do some research before you buy and you wont find yourself in this mess often

19. TheVandit macrumors member

TheVandit

If you are on this forum and you are pissed off cos you bought an imac 15 days ago...you are an idiot!

20. cherry su macrumors 65816

cherry su

Just curious - which model did you buy?

21. tednunesrunning macrumors newbie

Hey everyone....I'm a first time Mac owner..and I've been watching this site for about a month now.
    I was going to purchase an Imac and then a really cool mac dealer turned me on to this website and said that apple was going to update soon and that I should probably wait.
    So I did...
    I checked the web Yesterday morning and then I had my Imac home with me later that night.
    I'm glad I waited...and I didn't have to wait as long as I thought.

I'm sure I'd be a little upset if I bought mine last month since I'll be using it mostly for recording. I'm glad Mac Rumors was here!

22. chaosbunny macrumors 68000

chaosbunny

Thanks, and that sounds way cool. NIN are awesome, not only for their music but also for their giving away songs as mp3s or as open garageband files for free. And their distribution of the ghosts instrumental album, I wish more mayor artists did it like that. Sorry for going off topic, one can not say this often enough.

Btw, I like your animated macrumors logo too.

23. Cheffy Dave macrumors 68030

Cheffy Dave

Sunny Florida, on the Gulf Coast in Homosassa Fl
    Ripped off???? If you visit here even semi-regularly, and use the buying guide, you'll never feel ripped off, cus you'd be ahead of the curve. If you are
    feeling:rolleyes: ripped off, it's your own fault

Amen!:rolleyes:

24. amiga macrumors 6502

amiga

I waited but felt like giving in many time, as it happens the timing of the update was perfect for me!

25. jackc macrumors 65816

jackc

I feel ripped off as a shareholder that the TS got a $45 credit