Anybody else have these shadows on the bottom of their MBP LCD?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by PDE, Mar 13, 2008.

1. PDE macrumors 68020

I've noticed some slight shadows across the bottom of the display. They are alternating with normal brightness so it reminds me of what somebody posted the other day of alternating vertical beams of light. Theirs was terrible while mine is very subtle. Are these the result of the LEDs? Does anybody else have them? I thought I had a perfect display...but then I started noticing this. I feel it's become more noticeable, but am not sure. Not looking for faults, just wondering.

cheers!

Attached Files:

2. iCeFuSiOn macrumors 6502a

Looks alright to me, it's most likely where the LED backlights are.

3. pbollin macrumors newbie

I have the same thing. However, I do not notice it when actually using the computer so I am not worried about it.

4. PDE thread starter macrumors 68020

So you'd consider this normal? I wonder if they all have this to at least a certain degree?

5. markrivers macrumors 6502a

markrivers

i think i have that too!:D
    yipee! ha ha ha!

6. PDE thread starter macrumors 68020

Sorry again! It's fun this, isn't it?!

7. markrivers macrumors 6502a

markrivers

i'm just humoring myself:D
    most of the times it works for me!

8. PDE thread starter macrumors 68020

I really need to stop obsessing, but wanted to see if what I'm seeing on this display is normal? I can't imagine that it is, but I also know that Apple has really stretched the definition of 'normal' in the last few years...When I watch DVDs, I get the following dark blotch on the middle of the screen when there are dark parts and in between scenes. It's not like it really ruins my whole viewing experience, but it's ugly. Do you have this too?

cheers!

Attached Files:

9. idonotliketostu macrumors 6502

I always though that LED backlights would be more even than conventional backlightin.

10. PDE thread starter macrumors 68020

That's what everybody was hoping for, and I think they are generally more even that the previous generation MBPs. But now we have other issues instead. My old powerbook G4 1.67 had a perfect screen even if it wasn't at all as bright as the current MBPs.

11. sjb macrumors regular

I have seen this same thing on my Powerbook and MBP. I believe it is normal. I think I've even seen it on some Dells and IBM's.

12. tman08 macrumors member

I have the same problem

Attached Files:

13. PDE thread starter macrumors 68020

it's probably the same cause, but yours is much much worse..have you talked to Apple?

14. steeveage macrumors member

Yes, I have the same problem as well. However it's intermittent -- it just pops up randomly, and I haven't been able to nail down how to reproduce it yet. If I close my lid and open it again, it goes away. Happens maybe once/week or so, but I've had my MBP for only 3 weeks now.

15. thadoggfather macrumors 604

thadoggfather

i think they all have the pillar effect a little bit. but honestly, yours looks extreme. Mine looks nothing like that.

16. ArcaneDevice macrumors 6502a

Substandard panel. Do not accept it because it's only normal in that the quality control of Apple is letting this stuff through.

Same with the bars. It shouldn't happen so don't live with it. For now it's an annoyance but it could be an indicator of a potential fault down the line.

I sent my MBP back because of both of those effects. The replacement is sat here waiting to be opened but I haven't brought myself to do it. If it's bad it's just going to annoy the hell out of me.

17. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

My CFL is kicking butt.

18. tman08 macrumors member

Looking at the pictures I posted above, do you think I should take my MBP to the Apple store? I have three year Applecare. I just bought this thing less than a month ago. Like someone posted above; the black lines randomly appear and randomly go away. It is nuisance when they appear. Would they replace the whole laptop or just replace the screen?

19. bcaslis macrumors 68020

Personally, I'd definitely take it in. That looks worse than I've seen. Most likely they would replace just the screen, but you never know.

20. PDE thread starter macrumors 68020

Absolutely! It's totally unacceptable to have a display like that. Take it in and get it fixed. If it's relatively new, they might replace it. If it's older, they'll simply swap out the entire top display bezel.