Anybody else in the Northern Virginia area get bombarded by hail just now?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Knowlege Bomb, May 14, 2010.

1. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 603

Knowlege Bomb

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

No hail here in Arlington...yet. Lots of annoying storm warnings flashing across my TV though :p

3. dmr727 macrumors G3

dmr727

Nothing here, but a quick glance at the Radar Summary for your area makes me go :eek: . Nothing like tops in the mid 50s to liven up your day.

Attached Files:

• fcx.gif
      fcx.gif
      File size:
      53.3 KB
      Views:
  4. Knowlege Bomb thread starter macrumors 603

Knowlege Bomb

I've never had to call my insurance company before.

My brother says that I'll more than likely get a new car out of it because they'll end up totalling it.

I don't want a new car. I love my car.

5. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

You must be getting the mess we got in St. Louis a couple days ago. It rolled through at around 3 AM. I'm a heavy sleeper and normally sleep through storms. Hell, I even slept through an earthquake. But this storm woke me up. It was loud.

6. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

If the total damage cost is below the current value of your car, then you get it repaired; otherwise, the insurance company will say it's totaled and either give you a new ride or pay the market value.

They do some exceptions, which I am not sure.

7. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Well, it depends. I was in an accident last year and it was told by my insurance company that if the damage was 80% of the car's value, they total it. Luckily my damage came to just over the 80% threshold and they totaled it, because the damage was bad and it would never have been the same if repaired.

8. Knowlege Bomb thread starter macrumors 603

Knowlege Bomb

I've been stewing over this whole mess for a while and came to this same conclusion. They could repair it, but then it would show up on Carfax and probably lower the resale value in the end.

It's crazy because the storm came in pretty quick and turns out the driver's side is completely untouched while the hood, roof, trunk, spoiler and passenger side are all pretty beat up. I got a quote not too long ago to have two small door dings taken out and it was over $200. A lot of the places I observed damage are not as easy to get to as the door so I'm thinking it's going to be pretty close.

My mileage is starting to get up there (just did my 69k oil change) so maybe this was a blessing in disguise. Driving a newer Accord certainly would beat a hot poke in the eye...

9. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Yes, I've heard of that also. I think they sometimes go as low as 70%

10. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

11. Knowlege Bomb thread starter macrumors 603

Knowlege Bomb

Well my coworker ended up with a cracked windshield and a good handful of dents too.

So no, I am certainly not dreaming.

12. Decrepit macrumors 65816

Decrepit

I lent my car to somebody a few years ago because her car was totaled by hail and she needed to shop for a new car. I didn't need it as I was traveling that week.

Good luck bud. Hail sucks. Only thing worse is being out in it when it happens.

13. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

Yeah, I did. I had soccer practice at the time in Springfield, so we just played in the rain. Playing skins vs shirts, with being skins in hail is not as fun as it seems :p.

Eventually, it lightened up, and as practice was over, it came back down like crazy. Like..I ran to the car, even when I was already wet.

Fun day. None of our cars are damaged.

14. Knowlege Bomb thread starter macrumors 603

Knowlege Bomb

Sounds painful. I took a video of it from and I couldn't hear myself talking when I watched it afterward. I can't imagine how that would have felt...

After taking a walk I see that the trees are pretty shredded.

Hail on an 85 degree mid-May afternoon.... who would think?

15. RITZFit macrumors 65816

RITZFit

that sucks. hopefully you get luck w/ your insurance. I got caught off guard by some random hail about a yr. ago (bright and sunny one second, next, all...hail broke loose :mad: ). too bad it wasn't bad enough to total my car (but enough for me to notice/piss me off)

16. Knowlege Bomb thread starter macrumors 603

Knowlege Bomb

Quick update for anyone interested...

I talked to a rep from Progressive today and they're going to be coming out to check out my car sometime this week. He gave me several options for repairs but mentioned nothing about totalling so I may be in the clear for that. I have to admit I'm a little disappointed as I have had my eye on the new 5.0 Mustang.

Anyway, my brother suggested that I take it to the Lexus body shop in Chantilly (because they do great work he says) and request they replace the panels and to use OEM equipment and that it would be the most probably way of reaching the car's blue book value ($13,500 before mileage).

I really don't want to keep the car if it has a salvage title.

17. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

I don't think it gets a salvage title unless it gets totaled, bought back, and repaired.

18. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

It will have a salvage title only if the insurance company totals the car.

And someone mentioned Carfax earlier. They only report on a small percentage (last I knew it was in the low 30s) of things that happen to your car. Repairs and/or body shops reporting to Carfax is completely optional. Many repair shops can't be bothered providing data to Carfax. Carfax is also unable to obtain DMV info from a lot of states.

19. Knowlege Bomb thread starter macrumors 603

Knowlege Bomb

So how does that work? If they total it and somebody else buys it? Or if they total it and I decide I'd like to keep it?

That was me. I would think it would be illegal (or unethical, at least) for car shops to avoid reporting repairs to Carfax. I mean, the whole point of paying for it (or prodding the dealer into buying it before you decide) is to know the history of damage to the car.

Either way, I hope this is over soon. I had a friend that totalled his car that ended up waiting almost three months to get paid. I hope Progressive does better.