Anybody ever get their iPhone replaced for free after warranty has expired?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by saintforlife, Dec 9, 2011.

1. saintforlife macrumors 6502a

My 1 year warranty expired a few days ago and I don't have Apple Care on my iPhone 4. I went to the Apple store last month with some issues, but the genius would not replace my phone and asked me to try a few things like setting it up as a new phone etc. He said if that does not fix it, they can consider other options. He said that he will put a note to that effect against my phone serial number, so that the next time I go to the store, they will know that I've been in before with the same issue.

Well, whatever fix he suggested did not work. But now my 1 year warranty has expired, although only four days ago. Is there any chance that I could still get my iPhone replaced for this issue for free seeing as how I still have the same issue or will Apple turn me away because I don't have Apple Care?

2. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

I was at an Apple Store 2 weeks ago because my friends iPod touch was acting up and his warranty had also just expired a few days prior, we went to the Apple Store anyways and the Genius had to get a manager approval, but everything was fine and they exchanged his iPod touch for another.

The manager explained that she would approve it because the warranty had just expired, but that if it had been like a month afterwords (or so) then she wouldn't have done it.

So my advice is to go in as soon as you can.

3. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

They're usually pretty lenient on it, and will probably give you a week or two after it expires. I agree though, I'd go in as soon as possible and just explain the situation and don't act like they owe you something (I'm not making assumptions about your personality, just being straight forward and polite generally gets you the farthest with Apple employees.

4. Jordan921 macrumors 68040

Jordan921

Go there as soon as you can and explain everything the last genius said to you. They should see the notes the genius added to your serial number.

5. MrKennedy macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

It depends on who is helping you, in my experience. I had my 3GS replaced 3 months after my warranty expired w/no questions asked. I'm thankful the genius/manager there wasn't a stickler about it. Just be forthcoming about the issue and they're more than likely going to help remedy the situation.

6. saintforlife thread starter macrumors 6502a

I've an appointment at the Apple store this weekend. Let's see how it goes.