Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Renho

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 15, 2014
SR, CA
I just dropped mine, made me think there has got to be horror stories of the night before launch breaking of there trade in phone.. lol anybody?

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
I think Renho is bored. You know he’s seen that thread.
Eh, I lost track of who’s been where. I almost can’t blame him. The atmosphere here on this forum surrounding this release isn’t as fun as past ones from back when I joined. There was a spirit of fun and camaraderie back then, but when I go to look for it now I’m seeing a lot of sniping and bitterness.

I think the high prices of the phones have engendered a lot of the bitterness. Goodwill really has gone down since Apple took away the headphone port. That’s sort of a weird turning point, but it was when I noticed the bitterness over the iMac/Mac stagnation and prices finally leaking over to the iPhones.

I felt it myself. Goodness knows I joined in on the complaints. iPhone 7 Plus was the first time I sat out a preorder since I held onto my much loved iPhone 4 until the 5s release. I sat out the X. I’m finally excited again but I can’t expect everyone else to be.

AppleHaterLover

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2018
Eh, I lost track of who’s been where. I almost can’t blame him. The atmosphere here on this forum surrounding this release isn’t as fun as past ones from back when I joined. There was a spirit of fun and camaraderie back then, but when I go to look for it now I’m seeing a lot of sniping and bitterness.

I think the high prices of the phones have engendered a lot of the bitterness. Goodwill really has gone down since Apple took away the headphone port. That’s sort of a weird turning point, but it was when I noticed the bitterness over the iMac/Mac stagnation and prices finally leaking over to the iPhones.

I felt it myself. Goodness knows I joined in on the complaints. iPhone 7 Plus was the first time I sat out a preorder since I held onto my much loved iPhone 4 until the 5s release. I sat out the X. I’m finally excited again but I can’t expect everyone else to be.

Since this has become MacRants I’ll rant too.

I feel like a moron because Apple keeps increasing its prices and I keep buying their stuff.

Renho

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 15, 2014
SR, CA
I think Renho is bored. You know he’s seen that thread.

But I want you talking to me not them...
[doublepost=1537509793][/doublepost]
Since this has become MacRants I’ll rant too.

I feel like a moron because Apple keeps increasing its prices and I keep buying their stuff.

Yes, that is exactly that! Most of us hate our wife’s but still go to bed next to her!

nycxaxez

macrumors member
Feb 24, 2010
I just dropped mine, made me think there has got to be horror stories of the night before launch breaking of there trade in phone.. lol anybody?

I don’t have a story from a night before - I have one from a weekend before:

The Sunday before I was set to go in-store to get a new iPhone, I was at a barbecue and dropped my phone face down on paved concrete. It was one of those falls that you just know would reveal a smashed phone. I picked it up but was surprised that it seemed perfectly fine - no cracks to be seen.

Half an hour later, I was sitting inside and took the phone out of my pocket. I tapped the screen a couple times and on the third tap, I literally saw the screen develop a crack before my eyes. It looked like a single hairline crack from the top right of the phone to the bottom right. I’m assuming that whatever damage the phone sustained after the fall was finally revealed. I was horrified. Sure, it would be around $100 to fix the screen (this was before Apple only charged $29 to fix the screen), which is not a ridiculous number - still, I was thinking that I was just about to get a new one. My plan had been to give my wife the old phone since her iPhone had been a few years old.

A few days later, I went into the Apple Store to pick up my new iPhone. While setting up my new phone, I told the employee what had happened with the damaged phone. I also talked about how I was planning on giving my wife the phone but now wasn’t sure if I wanted to pay for a screen repair when she could just buy a new phone instead. He asked to see the phone. He said, “You know, from the look of the crack, it doesn’t look like it’s impact related.” He took the cracked phone and brought out a new one - he handed it to me and said, “I hope your wife enjoys her new phone!”.

I walked out of the store dumbfounded. I had a brand new iPhone for myself but my wife got a new one too. Instead of giving her a used phone that had been through a ton of battery use over the year (I commuted a ton and charged that old phone so frequently), she got to enjoy a new phone with me.

So, it’s not a true disaster, I guess. It could’ve been a “first-world” disaster but the Apple Store employee saved us from that too. Damn, I’ve had so many positive experiences at the Apple Store.

Renho

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 15, 2014
SR, CA
I don’t have a story from a night before - I have one from a weekend before:

The Sunday before I was set to go in-store to get a new iPhone, I was at a barbecue and dropped my phone face down on paved concrete. It was one of those falls that you just know would reveal a smashed phone. I picked it up but was surprised that it seemed perfectly fine - no cracks to be seen.

Half an hour later, I was sitting inside and took the phone out of my pocket. I tapped the screen a couple times and on the third tap, I literally saw the screen develop a crack before my eyes. It looked like a single hairline crack from the top right of the phone to the bottom right. I’m assuming that whatever damage the phone sustained after the fall was finally revealed. I was horrified. Sure, it would be around $100 to fix the screen (this was before Apple only charged $29 to fix the screen), which is not a ridiculous number - still, I was thinking that I was just about to get a new one. My plan had been to give my wife the old phone since her iPhone had been a few years old.

A few days later, I went into the Apple Store to pick up my new iPhone. While setting up my new phone, I told the employee what had happened with the damaged phone. I also talked about how I was planning on giving my wife the phone but now wasn’t sure if I wanted to pay for a screen repair when she could just buy a new phone instead. He asked to see the phone. He said, “You know, from the look of the crack, it doesn’t look like it’s impact related.” He took the cracked phone and brought out a new one - he handed it to me and said, “I hope your wife enjoys her new phone!”.

I walked out of the store dumbfounded. I had a brand new iPhone for myself but my wife got a new one too. Instead of giving her a used phone that had been through a ton of battery use over the year (I commuted a ton and charged that old phone so frequently), she got to enjoy a new phone with me.

So, it’s not a true disaster, I guess. It could’ve been a “first-world” disaster but the Apple Store employee saved us from that too. Damn, I’ve had so many positive experiences at the Apple Store.

Now that was an early Xmas present, and I bet that employee no longer work’s there. Can’t get to trillion buy giving **** away.. haha

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.