Anybody figured out how to stop hinge plastic from creaking on unibody MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by PDE, Jun 10, 2009.

1. PDE macrumors 68020

Build-quality wise the unibodies are really as perfect as I've ever experienced any machine to be. Simply amazing. BUT, the black plastic hinge cover is cheap and creaks as soon as I grab the computer or open the display. I opened her up to see if there was anything I could do to reinforce it or something, but I didn't want to mess with it.

Quite a few seem to have this 'issue' and I thought maybe somebody has figured out a solution?

Such a shame on an otherwise perfect machine. I would have preferred the same kind of rubbery plastic that was on the old generation MBP.

Anyone?

2. TheShinyMac macrumors 6502a

TheShinyMac

It shouldn't creek. Mine did that and I brought it back, its a manufactures defect. Politely demand a replacement:rolleyes:

3. PDE thread starter macrumors 68020

I'm so happy with my computer that I can't risk a replacement to fix such a small problem...but it is annoying given how perfect the machine is otherwise.

Maybe I'll ask at the Apple Store if there's a way to fix it easily...was hoping somebody here had a solution, as is often the case.

4. NovemberWhiskey macrumors 68030

NovemberWhiskey

That's so funny. I was just at the Apple store yesterday and it was the first time I noticed how cheap the hinge was. It really seemed a little out of place on the otherwise solid MBP.

5. RiCEADDiCTBOY macrumors 6502a

RiCEADDiCTBOY

i remember when i had my 2.4 unibody macbook...i heard a weird sound coming from my hinge. it was a one time incident...nothing i could see as a crack - but, hearing this makes me believe it could have resulted in an eventual cracking... could thing i returned it...but, on the flip side i am picking up a new macbook pro...:confused:

how wide spread is this? i would like to know more about this...

6. Ricanlegend macrumors 6502a

If you every get anoyed just take it in to the apple store they will give you a new one

7. PDE thread starter macrumors 68020

I noticed at the Apple Store today that the new unibody MBP doesn't creak at all and that when I pressed on the plastic there was no play at all. I guess Apple fixed it.... I wonder how they'll fix the old ones given that it seems to be a design issue?

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I never noticed if the hinge was a cheap plastic or metal, and furthermore my hinge makes no noise.

Hopefully in the future it won't as well. :confused:

9. jpma macrumors 6502

I have the same problem with my hinge,
    getting it replace by apple this weekend
    it is actually getting worst.

have to agree the hinge is the only imperfect part of the hardware of mbp
    but 13'' mbp have a strong hinge, and it is not so loose compare to the 15'' mbp.

thou you can choose to ignore it
    but eventually it will get more worst just like mine.
    it is still not too late to call applecare by then.
    just you wanna do it now or in the future or maybe near future.