anybody go from matte nonuni to glossy unibody and prefer it?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by thadoggfather, Jan 28, 2009.

1. thadoggfather macrumors 604

thadoggfather

Just wondering :) this might be me one day if I'm left with no other option.

I used to have the macbook the day those came out but had a lot of problems with it out of warranty so I abandoned it. I didn't mind the glossy except it was annoying in bright lighting conditions

2. DHagan4755 macrumors 6502a

DHagan4755

While this doesn't specifically answer your question...The fact of the matter is that Apple needs to (and probably will soon) offer the same $50 matte/anti-glare treatment on the 15.4-inch MacBook Pro as they do on the 17-inch MacBook Pro. The thing that I am not too sure of is they will ever make that offer with the 13-inch MacBook.

3. dark knight macrumors regular

i think so

i waited around for the new unibody for ages and did read a lot of moans about the fact it would be glossy only. I guess im a pro user in that i edit audio for a living on it and i very rarely find the screen a problem.

i think the only time you will find it a pain is

1. possibly outside, but so far this even this hasnt been a problem

2. one day you will be sitting on the sofa watching a movie and there will suddenly be a scene where, for what ever reason, the screen goes black (or generally dark horror films) and you will find yourself looking at a reflection of yourself. but this really isnt a worry

had my reservations because of all the moaners but i would probably choose glossy if i had the choice, though its a close call.

4. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

To actually answer the OP's question, yes I owned a matte non-uni Macbook Pro. I made the transition to the unibody and do in fact like it better.

Solid construction, vivid colors, and the glossy screen is a non-issue.
    I primarily use my MBP for Photoshop, web design, PHP coding, and Terminal.

5. iaymnu macrumors 6502

+1

I also have the matte non-uni MBP. I prefer the glossy screen and it isn't an issue when I use my MBP outside or even near a window.

6. darwinian macrumors 6502a

darwinian

I didn't go from the matte but the glossy to the glassy, and I don't like it. Glossy was fine; the glass surface is far too reflective. It requires more backlighting to not have reflections be obtrusive, and of course more backlighting hurts battery life.

7. aadler macrumors newbie

I got an unibody after accidentally destroying my early 2008 MBP, and I'm not sure I like it. The unibody design is better, but the screen is definitely not. And I'd rather have a slightly worse graphic card if i can use my computer for 4-5 hours on battery than have a better one and 2 hrs or a worse one and 4 hrs of usage.

8. brentsg macrumors 68030

My old PowerBook was matte and I have a unibody and prefer the glossy. I also had a 20" ACD and replaced it with the new 24" glossy.

My lighting is controlled, so the 24" in particular... is awesome.

9. lordthistle macrumors 6502

I had the early '08 MBP matte and received the Unibody MBP as an exchange.

I do not like this glAssy. I could live with glossy, like the one on macbooks (non-alu).

With this glass, from 8 to 11 (AM, for americans), I see my reflection even on white-bg windows. I love dark colors on the screen, with matte I can use them.

I agree with the user who made an observation about battery life. With this unibody brightness is always set to max during daylight (not with the early '08).
    -- thistle