Anybody have a Macbook/or MBP and an iPad? A few questions...

Discussion in 'iPad' started by jayeskreezy, Feb 15, 2011.

1. jayeskreezy macrumors 65816

I currently have a macbook pro already and I connect it to a larger display for video and audio editing, but I was consider getting an iPad.

I already own an iphone too (I use that for everything from phone convos to listing ebay auctions). Are there any advantages or disadvantages to owning both? Do you think it's worth it? What do you use it for mostly?

2. EazyWeazy3 macrumors 6502

iMac, MacBook, iPhone, and iPad for me. As I'm sure many on here have all the same as well.

iPad is great when lounging around. On bed watching tv. Toilet a few times. Great on trips. Plane, long car ride, etc.

Doesn't burn my legs like my MacBook would. That's definitely a plus.

Everyone uses their apple products to suit their own needs, I'm sure you will find a way to use an iPad along with your other apple products. I still use all of them the same amount of time as I used to before.

3. Dreamail macrumors 6502

Went bigger and smaller instead

I had a MacBook and realized that what I wanted was:
    a) much more 'oompf' and
    b) much more portability on trips where size/weight is an issue.
    Sadly this is not possible with today's technology.

So for a) I bought a Mac Pro instead, as there are still no quad-core laptops from Apple. Also it is more expandable than an iMac (by now I already maxed out all 4 drive bays...).

And for b) I bought an iPad.

After using all three for a while I got rid of my MacBook as it is was both too underpowered and too big for what I wanted. The compromise in the middle that it was, was neither suitable for the big tasks I wanted it to do nor light enough to comfortably carry around much.

I probably could have bought the 11" MacBook Air instead of the iPad, but that wasn't available then.

I certainly would have bought an Apple 'mobile workstation' if it existed instead of a MacPro. Something with a quad-core CPU, Nvidia Quadro GPU, 16GB RAM support and dual HD bays. But sadly Apple is not interested in that market segment.

4. sinalot macrumors newbie

I frequently travel interstate and overseas and the iPad is perfect on the go. Where else can I have a device that can last all the way from sydney to shanghai on a single charge. I use my MacBook for private iOS and .net development and documentation. All my development resources are loaded on my iPad for quick reference and also light reading on the go. In my case both are incredibly useful for me.

5. ConnorCG macrumors member

I own both a MBP and an iPad, and I barely ever use the iPad. I feel bad because it was a gift, but I haven't used the thing for more than 10 hours total in the last three months. I simply have no use for it, so it all depends on your situation. I use my MBP constantly, and for me it is light and portable enough for mobile use, and using an iPad for stuff is just too limited. It's difficult to browse and respond to forum topics on an iPad, for instance.

You really need to make sure you'll use the thing before you buy it.

6. miamijim macrumors 6502

iMac Used for all home computing needs and watching movies in the lounge plus playing Warcraft, and Video call over skype.

MBP Used for Dj'ing and Powerpoint presentation when teaching.

iPad used when lounging on the sofa and lyong in bed also on the toilet. Ideal bookreader.

iPhone 4 used everywhere I go for all types of stuff and as a remote to control my whole home iMac setup IE PLEX and all that stuff.

That just about covers it....

7. pagansoul macrumors 65816

pagansoul

I have a MacPro at home for it's power and internal HD space (8TB), my MBP 15" for portability. I bring it along trips from NJ to/from Georgia. Now I have the 64GB iPad and take it everywhere. It's on my desk at work and on my bedside table at home. It goes with me when I eat out and the book store. It took over many iphone tasks so not to use up its battery. The 10 hour battery life is the iPads best asset. I also have a Kindle3 and use it for straight text reading but my iPad for reading magazines and comics. I have not touched my PSP since I got my iPad at all. I should sell it.

8. Zcott macrumors 68020

I have a MacBook Pro connected to a display. The laptop hasn't been opened in weeks…it's just a desktop machine now that I have the iPad.

9. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I have a MBP and an iPad.

Like the other posts, I use my iPad primarily when I'm in the house, and wanting to get something done. I'll use the laptop for those circumstances, that the iPad doesn't work well.

For instance, I use quickbooks as the treasurer of my church. I cannot use an Ipad for that, so when I go to meetings, I use the laptop.

I used to use the laptop for traveling to help with traveling, connecting to my work computer, surfing the net, saving my pictures watching movies, etc. I have a trip planned later in the spring. I'm seriously considering only taking my iPad.

I am finding that I use the laptop much much less with the iPad. I still have a need for a MBP, but that need has diminished since I have the iPad

10. jayeskreezy thread starter macrumors 65816

Wow! Thanks everyone for the helpful responses. The verdict is still out for me. I've always wanted an imac for it's ability to handle a heavier load for video editing, but I don't know if I'll have have enough portability with solely an imac and an ipad alone. I wish I could test these things out beforehand.

I will stick with my MBP and wait on the announcement for the ipad 2 to see if it's worth getting vs. a heavily discounted current ipad. I really want the ipad for e-reading, lighter travel days, and non-robust tasks. I do like that I can have everything on the move with my mbp though.

11. deeddawg macrumors 604

One the ipad2 is out, if you're in the US and anywhere near an Apple store, I believe they suspended the restocking fee for in-store purchases. Double check that of course.

12. nwcs macrumors 65816

nwcs

I have a MBP 17, iPhone, and iPad and use all three. I use the iPad for a lot of my casual work. It's replaced my MBP for that. I mainly use the MBP for serious work I can't do on the iPad like photo processing, handbrake encodes, etc.

13. poloponies macrumors 68030

I have a previous-generation MacBook Air, a 15" MBP an iPhone 4 and an iPad. The MBA was my go-to travel machine for business trips and I would bring the MBP only when I had some real heavy lifting (MS Access, for example). On my last few trips the iPad was all I took and it suited my needs very well. It's also ideal for travel, as well as for ebooks on my daily commute. Having had it for 9 months I can't see giving it up, but if I never had it I could probably make do with my Kindle and MBA (not nearly as well, but it would be an acceptable compromise).

14. baummer macrumors 6502a