Anybody heard of this brand? Deal worth buying?

MosesSupposes

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 31, 2006
So I found this ext. hdd deal at Futureshop...Never heard of i/o Magic before, so I'm a little leary of this. Says nothing about Firewire support either, but that's ok i guess. Any thoughts?

shawsinio

macrumors regular
May 29, 2006
UK
hmmm. ive never heard of them before either. when i was looking for a good external, i was told to buy a new seagate drive with 5 year warranty, and a macally firewire case. i didnt follow that advice, and ended up with a crappy external for about £10 cheaper on eBay, and i do regret not buying what i was recommended. anyway, the moral of the story is that no one ever regretted buying quality right? so perhaps steer clear of this one and buy a 'DIY' kit and do it yourself for cheaper? well, that my advice anyway...

yg17

macrumors G5
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
The hard drive inside if it is likely made by a major manufacturer (Seagate, Western Digital, etc) which is probably all that really matters. Its just you don't know which manufacturer

bembol

macrumors 65816
Jul 29, 2006
It looks like a good purchase...Future Shop/Best Buy are the EASIEST place to return purchases...!!!

yg17

macrumors G5
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
bembol said:
It looks like a good purchase...Future Shop/Best Buy are the EASIEST place to return purchases...!!!

Maybe up north, but not in the US.

Now Wal-Mart....they'll take anything back

deepy

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2006
Yeah, i'd recommend either doing it the DIY way with a good drive and good external enclosure or, probably better, just buy a good quality/brand external drive.

bobber205

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2005
Oregon
yg17 said:

Yeah. No kidding! I used to work there and walmart has no policy about NOT taking returns. All returns are ok except those that are prohibited by law. :D

it5five

macrumors 65816
May 31, 2006
New York
bembol said:
I hope your Best Buy thing was a joke. Returning things here in the states at Best Buy is an experience that I wouldn't wish upon my most hated enemies.

Marlon_JBT

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2003
Detroit, Michigan
yg17 said:

No kidding. I bought a Digital Camera from Best Buy. Had to return it on the 14th day because of a button that fell off. I was in the store for an entire hour while several managers tried to decide whether to return it. I was badgered beyond any good reason about how this button could possibly have broken / fell off. I simply did not know, and I know I DID NOT drop it. Bastards.

Eventually I got another camera.

Had to return that one too.... I went to another location and they were slightly better about the return this time around.

In short, I very much dislike Best Buy. Why I keep shopping there... I don't know.

Returns at Wal-Mart? It's harder to back my Jeep in my narrow driveway than return something at Wal-Mart. :D

MosesSupposes

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 31, 2006
Thanks for the replies fellas. Probably gonna skip this one judging from most of your responses. I find Futureshop either ridiculously easy or ridiculously hard to return stuff to, so I would probably rather have quality above anything else.