Anybody know a meteorologist personally or know what it's like to work as one?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by MusicEnthusiast, Mar 21, 2011.

1. MusicEnthusiast macrumors 6502

MusicEnthusiast

I'm studying atmospheric sciences in college and I absolutely love the weather and everything about it. Also taking up a Japanese minor and really getting to know what I am good at. However, as you already know, life works in mysterious ways. I have not a clue what it is like to work as a meteorologist (whether it be here or in Japan haha). So I am here to ask you guys what you might know about it!!

2. Melrose Suspended

Melrose

I worked for seven years on-air daily at a radio station, and talked extensively with the meteorologists (Glenn Johnson, you there.. hello?)... They're friendly, cool, and tend to be pretty outgoing ime. They're be pretty busy whenever they're at work, but I've found they're also more than willing to give you a few minutes to chat, answer questions and stuff. One even gave me an extensive personal tour of one of the largest TV stations in western NY... now, whether that's because I already worked in broadcasting I'm not sure, but they've always been friendly from my experience.

Don't expect to make much if that's what you do, but as they say, Find a job you love and you never work a day in your life.

:)

3. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

My co-worker has a couple of sons who are meteorologists, Now that they have jobs things are going well. There's not that much of a job market for those positions and they struggled for 2 years for land a job - that was before the recession hit.

5. Plymouthbreezer macrumors 601

Plymouthbreezer

I've had a chance to meet a few local television ones, and they seem to really enjoy their job, the people they work with, and the stresses that come with TV production.

It makes me sad when they get so much crap for being "wrong" some of the time; most of the time they are right!

6. MusicEnthusiast thread starter macrumors 6502

MusicEnthusiast

Thanks for the responses so far guys! Well I'm starting my 3rd here at my university and I just finished the basic calculus, physics, and programming prereqs. Now I'm taking a more advanced calculus course, differential equations, and my intro weather course. There's A LOT more math than I ever imagined this kind of degree would expect.

Anybody else wanna shed any light on this topic? Speaking of jobs, I just got an email today for recent graduates looking for jobs in meteorology at the airport as a lead flight dispatcher, seems kinda cool for a kickstarter job outta college!