Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tonyshucraft

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 15, 2008
Got an iPhone 4 from somebody whom is canceling their line and they did it today, how long should it be until I can activate it on my account....

tonyshucraft

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 15, 2008
Yeah and the guy said it could take up to a few weeks. I'm just wondering if that's always the case. The phone shows as deactivated and verizon didn't say it was on the lost or stolen list...I'm just wondering if it always takes this long. I do think it might have to do with their mother still having an account with verizon or the number being ported.

Anybody else have an experience similar to this?

kdarling

macrumors P6
Do you already have a data plan? And a PIN set up at Verizon? If so, you should be able to go ahead and try to activate it with your number. Just call *228.

(If you don't have a data plan, you'll have to call Verizon to activate it as you'll have to add one.)

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
Yeah and the guy said it could take up to a few weeks. I'm just wondering if that's always the case. The phone shows as deactivated and verizon didn't say it was on the lost or stolen list...I'm just wondering if it always takes this long. I do think it might have to do with their mother still having an account with verizon or the number being ported.

Anybody else have an experience similar to this?

Weeks? It should be instantaneous.

tonyshucraft

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 15, 2008
Yeah, I called again, and they said the same thing. I called the person that I got it from and they said they called today and asked to have it deactivated and the account cancelled. THey said they would call and see what's up.

This isn't unheard of for me though, I had verizon a couple years ago and had to cancel twice because the first time it didn't end up being cancelled for some reason.

tonyshucraft

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 15, 2008
Talked to the person again, she said that she called them and they told her it was because no matter when you cancel, verizon charges you until the end of the billing cycle, and she cancelled four days into the billing cycle. So I should have a few weeks of waiting to do. That is consistant with what the first of two verizon people said coudl be the case/

It's something I got off of craigslist, so it's always risky but given that the seller has offered to take the phone back and been working with me, also just observing how they have acted through all of this, as well as the verizon people telling me that it hasn't been reported stolen...I would say it's all good, just gotta be patient.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.