Anybody know what type of SSDs Apple uses in the new 2011 Macbook Pros?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dommo92, Feb 27, 2011.

1. dommo92 macrumors member

I'm thinking about picking up the high end 15" Macbook Pro sometime within the next two weeks.

I want to upgrade the storage on it to a 256GB SSD, mind you, I'm doing this through the Japanese online store so it'll set me back 45,000 yen for a 256GB SSD upgrade. I could do it through Apple or I could go out and buy a, let's say, Crucial C300 for about 46,000 yen and do the upgrade myself.

The prices are just about the same so I was wondering if anyone knows the model of the SSDs Apple uses so I can see if the read/write speeds are just as good as the C300 I might pick up.

Thanks!

2. ACiB macrumors member

I'd also like to know... Anyone?
    I'm looking to get the top end 15" as well, but with the 128GB SSD. What are the improvements in write/read over the 7200rpm drive?

3. dommo92 thread starter macrumors member

4. dommo92 thread starter macrumors member

The thread you linked does not provide the model of the Apple SSDs...

5. keithano macrumors member

Cause nobody has got their hand on the BTO new macbook pro with SSD, expect more reviews next week. I am waiting mine too.

6. dommo92 thread starter macrumors member

Damn, so you guys bit the bullet not knowing what SSD they'll have in them? I remember that my old '08 MBP had a Toshiba, it was a pos SSD. I've been wary of them ever since. Only reason I took the MBA SSD upgrade is because you can't do a DIY upgrade on these new MBAs.

7. keithano macrumors member

Reason to bite the bullet cause I can't pass the $90 deal 128gb ssd from apple (educational discount).. and most likely I would use it for a while, then throw it into the optical drive, and buy a new gen ssd to put it into the sata3 port.

8. iPhone1 macrumors 65816

iPhone1

9. Bigmacduck macrumors regular

MBA SSDs can be DIY upgraded as well

In fact you can, see OWC upgrades for the new MBA:
    http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/SSD/OWC/Aura_Pro_Express

You can DIY upgrade an MBA 2010 up to 360GB that is even 22% faster than the already blazing fast Apple SSD.

10. zjw1974 macrumors newbie