Anybody know why APFS is NOT the default file system when setting up Mojave?

komatsu

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 19, 2010
Anybody know why APFS is NOT pre-selected as the default file system when setting up Mojave?

chrfr

macrumors G3
Jul 11, 2009
APFS is the default in Mojave. It won’t install onto drives formatted as HFS+ and will convert those drives when you run the installer.

komatsu

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 19, 2010
APFS is the default in Mojave. It won’t install onto drives formatted as HFS+ and will convert those drives when you run the installer.
But when setting up a fresh install, from recollection, APFS does NOT come up as the default file system during a new macOS installation, I think HFS+ comes up. I cannot understand the rationale for that...

CoastalOR

macrumors 68030
Jan 19, 2015
Oregon, USA
But when setting up a fresh install, from recollection, APFS does NOT come up as the default file system during a new macOS installation, I think HFS+ comes up. I cannot understand the rationale for that...
The only places that I know of that you select the file system is Disk Utility or Terminal commands. Neither one of those apps can read your mind to know that you are setting up for Mojave. As @chrfr said, when you run the Mojave installer app it automatically configures the file system to APFS before installation if needed.

Reactions: komatsu