Anybody left the galaxy S II to go to the iPhone 4s?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by The Game 161, Jan 2, 2012.

1. The Game 161 macrumors G4

The Game 161

Happy with the decision? Glad you went back?

Anything that you miss on the galaxy?

2. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

3. TM WAZZA macrumors 68000

Happy with the decision. Although I will be tempted to look at the SGS3 next month.

4. ant1298 macrumors 6502

ant1298

Went from a iP4 to an S2 then to an iP4s because I wasn't happy with the S2 (within the space of 3 months). Best decision made in regards to phones ever :D

5. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

I went from an SGS2 to a 4S because my wife bought me a 64GB 4S for Christmas :)
    Before I got the 4S, I was perfectly happy with the SGS2 but I have to admit the iPhone is a better phone, or rather that iOS is, overall, better than Android.

Things I prefer on the iPhone / iOS:
    1) Lock Screen / Notifications
    2) iTunes integration (with iTunes match)
    3) The Browser
    4) Email App - I used the GMail app on my SGS2 for my personal e-mail which was pretty good, but the mail app on iOS is just nicer to use (if not as powerful)
    5) General look and feel of iOS and 3rd party apps: Android is miles better than it was, but it still lacks the consistency of iOS
    6) Build quality. There's nothing wrong with the SGS2, but the iPhone just feels more "premium"

Things I prefer on the SGS2 / Android
    1) A proper file system - not a massive issue, but it was nice to be able to sync files from Dropbox onto my phone in a central location
    2) App Store. Not the content, but the web interface with remote installation to my device was much slicker than the iTunes interface for iOS
    3) Battery Life. Yep, the battery on my SGS2 lasted longer than my iPhone 4S
    4) Screen - I love the AMOLED display of the SGS2 and although a lower resolution than the iPhone, it really is stunning
    5) Better separation of email accounts (i.e. allowing 3rd party mail apps so I could dedicate a separate app to my work e-mail)

Overall, I don't think there's a huge difference between the SGS2 and the 4S and a lot boils down to personal preferences between iOS and Android. I probably wouldn't have bought a 4S myself and stuck with the SGS2 for another year or so, but I do have to say I do prefer the 4S to the SGS2. I couldn't give a specific reason for this beyond it just being a nicer device to use for me

6. Certinfy macrumors 6502a

Certinfy

Bought the SGS2 a week before I got my iPhone 4S. As soon as my iPhone 4S came I compared the 2 and realised I preferred the iPhone in nearly every department so returned the SGS2.

7. smoledman macrumors 68000

I guess you're not very invested in apps if you can switch platforms so often.

8. PlatinuM195 macrumors regular

Actually went from the SGS2 to the iP4 and even this feels like a huge improvement.

For the SGS2 what I didn't like was:
    * Notifications (lack of a centralized area to control what notifications looked like. If I wanted a popup type one, I'd install a 3rd party SMS app with the popup I liked. App badges? Not without installing some particular launchers. Lock screen notifications? Not without installing widgetlocker and even then notification consistency was lacking.

* Lack of hardware acceleration throughout the OS (smooth transitions etc.)

* Quality of apps. The app quality on iOS is amazing although it does vary. On Android some popular apps look and function very averagely.

* Consistency throughout the OS. I'm one to like customization, but I prefer consistency over customization (in terms of looks that is). I spent way too much time attempting to make widgets, icon packs, launcher themes, lockscreens etc. look consistent but over time it just became impossible.

* Battery life, period.

* For some reason, some native google sites (particular Google Reader) perform much better on iOS compared to any of the browsers I tried on the SGS2.

* Cross platform games just weren't as smooth on the SGS2. Examples being Angry birds, fruit ninja, where's my water and many others.

On the iP4 right now, features I'm missing from the SGS2 are:
    * 3rd party keyboards. Although the keyboard on iOS is excellent particularly in responsiveness. I did extensive tests using the phones side by side and the SGS2 on custom ROMs but I just couldn't shake a feeling of input lag on the keyboard. Although using Swiftkey X was pretty nice.

* Quick toggle buttons for wifi/3G/GPS etc.

* Tasker.

9. DanteMann macrumors 6502

Well op, just get ready for a lot of BS, " I had a GS2 and changed over to the 4S and couldn't be happier" stories. A lot of Apple loyalists for some reason feel the need to make up stories and discourage other Apple users from trying out other devices. No clue why.
    It's hilarious how so many of them will go through the complete inconvenience of returning their idevice numerous times and until they get one that "just works." i.e. defective screens. But at the same time, they run into one small issue with an Android device during their supposed ownership of said Android device and BAM! just like that the thing sucks and they want nothing to do with android devices. Absolutely laughable. When you can put the same effort in using an Android device as you do with an idevice, then that's when you can say you gave it a real go. Othewise stop the BS stories.

10. TM WAZZA macrumors 68000

Are you serious?

11. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

Poor design is poor design no matter how many times your return your Droid X and get a new one.

12. smartbot macrumors member

smartbot

Yeah, I just ditched my SGS2 for a 4s a little over a week ago. When the SGS2 came out it had pretty crazy specs (compared to my 3GS) and Android looked appealing. But after using the SGS2 (since May) and playing around with Android I found myself missing iOS. I think Android still needs some work and isn't quite as polished as iOS.

In terms of hardware, the design and screen of the 4s is just amazing! I didn't care for the all plastic design of the SGS2. And while the Super AMOLED plus screen is nice, it lacks the clarity of the Retina display. In terms of speed I think they are about the same (the SGS2 might have a slight edge over the 4s though). The one nice thing about the SGS2 is the larger screen. But so far I have not found myself missing the extra screen real estate.

13. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

On the other hand, we also get a lot of Android loyalists who insist that everyone who says they prefer iOS over Android is lying, because they'd rather believe everyone makes that up, than believe that people actually have differing tastes and opinions.

Some people even still prefer Blackberry, believe it or not.

In any case, it's good that people are trying different platforms. They should be encouraged to do so to find out what works for them. And if they go back to iOS from Android, or vice versa, then they shouldn't be accused of lying, right off the bat. There's nothing wrong with trying something and realizing you prefer what you had before.

14. al0513 macrumors 6502

I went from a 4 to a SGS2 to a 4S.

Loved the SGS2 for a few days. Then the battery life got to me.

Also, it wouldnt let me send long text messages/ sometimes MMS didnt go through. When trying to fix the long text message, it wouldnt let me copy just pieces of it so what would have been a 30 second fix on the iphone (copying and pasting) became a 5 minute ordeal slicing and dicing.

Dont regret the move at all. Plus when I bought it, it was $200.. now its like 98 cents at walmart .... :(

----------

Your wrong. I've never had to return ANY of my iphones. My SGS2's screen had a huge discoloration ... so I didnt have to pay a resstocking fee at AT&T.

15. pilot1226 macrumors 6502a

pilot1226

I'll certainly miss the functionality of this, I have my right shortcut button on my Blackberry set to pull up my Connections, where I can manage them all and turn them on/off at once.

I wonder if there's an App out there that will allow people to access all the settings on/off in one place? But that being said, it's not that hard to get to all of them, just annoying in the sense of a few extra swipes.

I plan on letting everything stay on, at least in the beginning. I use Bluetooth in my car, I use Wifi at Home, and I'll need 3G everywhere else.

I will just let it ride and we'll see how it goes. I'm not really concerned because: 1. When I'm in my car, it'll be plugged in and charging and 2. I'm not going to really be yammering away on it at work or home anyway.

If I'm in a situation that I need to really worry about battery life, I'll then go through the menus and turn off what I need to turn off. But I would say it's a rare occurance, so I won't mind missing the shortcut buttons.

Regarding this entire thread, the reason that Apple products are so great is because they design the software to work around their hardware. They know what their hardware can and cannot do and the software is heavily optimized for it. It's a breath of fresh air.

16. dayloon macrumors 6502

I just sold my S2 and have got the 4s. The iphone just has something other phones don't. I can't quite put my finger on what it is.

17. Leonard1818 macrumors 68020

I think you're taking the handful of complainers that take to the forums and blogs as too much if a representation of ALL idevice users.

18. war eagle macrumors 6502a

I switched from the SGS 2 to the 4S. Not really because that's what I wanted to do, but I busted the LCD on my SGS2 and used an upgrade for the 4s.

I loved the camera on the SGS2, best I've ever used on a smart phone. The keyboard and typing was awful though. There were periods everywhere.

19. sand_man macrumors 6502a

sand_man

Sounds like a bloody mess

20. SurferMan macrumors 65816

I actually went the opposite route switching for the i777 GSII (some don't know there are different versions, diff processors etc, i777 kicks ass lol).... can't go wrong either way, I'm personally liking everything better on it including battery life which is odd as that's where IPhones used to dominate period.

21. Matthew9559 macrumors 6502a

Matthew9559

I upgraded to an Galaxy S2 Skyrocket on AT&T but went back to the iPhone 4 that I had before I got my phone upgrade. The G S2 has an amazing screen on it and the battery life wasn't too bad. It would last till the end of the day with moderate usage which is all I can ask for from a phone. In the end there were several things I hated about the phone that brought me back to iOS. The keyboard is garbage. As stated, periods everywhere. I have tried other keyboards including swype and was not impressed. ICS has improved on the keyboard (tried on a buddies phone) but still pales in comparison to iOS. Some games do not upscale to the bigger screens and look like pixelated crap. Another big complaint of mine was with Android in general, some games were not available for my device. WTF, why did I just spent $250 on a phone that doesn't work with all apps? No thanks!

I use google apps everyday but the android OS is a mess. Maybe if we didn't live in a world with iOS it would be my OS of choice for mobile. Unfortunately, that's not true. ;)

I know it sounds terrible but it feels like iOS has spoiled me so much...

22. kaizenmx macrumors regular

Most of people who go to Galaxy S II won't go back using iphone 4s, because people like their device upgraded not downgraded.

23. The Game 161 thread starter macrumors G4

The Game 161

lol stir the pot

24. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

I have both, with my current Samsung S II being my primary smartphone of choice.

I've used two smartphones on dedicated lines for years, all because I'm a huge mobile enthusiast and Mac Computer advocate. I've never wavered in my preference of a good MBP (previously PowerBooks) but have not found that to be the case with iPhones even though I've used every model since day one.

Finally we have the 4S with it's excellent phone performance. Antennagate was dreadful and prior to that, my 3GS was not too bad. Certainly a far better phone than the much denied Antennagate special.

I'm looking forward to the day Apple finally decides to catch up and equip iPhones with a larger, modern day display.

Other than that I don't tend to compare them as Android is a far different platform than iOS, and therein lies the reason most iPhone users just don't "get it". They pick one up, dont know anything about it, and promptly give up.

Easy, appeals to the average iLover, and combined with the cult like mentality fostered by Steve Jobs, most users only listened to him and his dictatorial ways.

25. ipodlover77 macrumors 65816

ipodlover77

had four galaxy s 2's. Each one didn't last me more than three days. Good phone but the low resolution is actually noticeable on sites with alot of texts and the slow charging kind of irked me.

also, i wasn't a fan of the size, which is also a main reason why i sold my galaxy nexus. People want big screens like the s 2, nexus, or note. I on the other hand found it extremely uncomfortable to use one handed and was annoyed that i would have to reposition the phone just so i could tap the refresh button in the browser.