Anybody play indie games on a rMBP? (re: 2D gaming at native resolution)

sofakng

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 5, 2008
Does anybody have any recommended games that work at retina resolution on a 13" rMBP?

I'm wondering how indie games like Dwarf Fortress, Faster Than Light, Don't Starve, etc, would play at native resolution and if they are compatible...

leman

macrumors G4
Oct 14, 2008
All these games will easily run on the native resolution, but they won't really benefit from it as there do not use any HiDPI textures. Besides, I don't see much point running FTL full-screen, the game is designed for a window.

P.S. Dwarf Fortress Mac version is just beyond horrible, I recommend running it through Parallels.

sofakng

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 5, 2008
Thanks for the response!

How will those games look because they don't have HiDPI textures? (will they look blurry?)

leman

macrumors G4
Oct 14, 2008
No, they will not look blurry. Not any blurrier than a native 1200x800 display, anyway.

Its a quite tricky question, actually - 'blurry' would usually apply to some sort of high definition imaging, and yet FTL uses pixel art (I would say it looks 'blocky' ;) ) and Dwarf Fortress is ASCII art. With don't starve I could't see much difference in image quality compared to the normal window mode.

SomeGuyDude

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2011
NEPA
Depends on the game. Binding of Isaac is optimized REALLY badly on OSX and drags like crazy whenever you enter a room.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.