Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gundam83

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 20, 2008
I have my mini in my bedroom as my primary workstation and I'm thinking of using it as an HTPC as well. I was hoping I could take the signal from the HDMI port, send it to an HDMI splitter, and output the signals to a monitor (for my desktop workstation) and a receiver (that is connected to my bedroom tv). Will I encounter any issues? Will I still be able to retain 5.1 audio? I also plan on connecting a second DVI monitor to the Tbolt port with the min's included adapter.

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
I assume you're looking at something like the Monoprice splitter? I've used their DVI splitter but not the HDMI, so I can't speak to how well it works for audio (they claim "It supports high-definition multi-channel audio signals, including Dolby TrueHD™ and DTS-HD Master Audio™.")

The only issue to be aware of is that both displays must run the same resolution (e.g. 1920x1080 / 1080p). If the displays are not identical it might take a bit of tweaking to get the Mac to provide the desired resolution.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.