anybody switch from a 4G Android phone to iphone 4? why? Tell your story

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Cali4ever, Jul 18, 2011.

1. Cali4ever macrumors member

anybody switch from a 4G Android phone to iphone 4? why? Tell your story

2. flipster macrumors 6502a

My friend did, short answer? Battery life sucks.

He had an HTC Thunderbolt. As of right now, 4G is too battery hungry for a phone IMO.

3. Turtletovar macrumors newbie

I had an EVO 3D with Sprint. I really liked the Android OS but the 3G speeds were horrible. I would be lucky to get 50kbps-100kbps download speeds. At work I couldn't get signal, was always roaming when inside building. The EVO is a nice phone, very fast and works well, but Sprint service needs to be better.

I then came to AT&T and didn't care for any of their current Android phones so I said what the heck, I'll try the iPhone. I am glad I did. I really am enjoying the iPhone and AT&T network is very good. I get 3-4 bars of 3G signal inside my work building. I don't have unlimited data, but I only use about 1.5GB per month of data so the 2GB plan will work for me. At home I'm always on wifi. Also I get a 20% monthly service discount from my job so that really sweetened the deal too.

Overall, I am very happy on my choice to change. Will I jailbreak, maybe someday. For now I'll stay stock.

4. Turtletovar macrumors newbie

Oh yeah, my EVO 3D chewed up batteries for lunch. Another reason I switched phones.

5. PrisonerOfDoom macrumors newbie

Yes, I switched from an HTC Sensation on T-Mobile to an iPhone 4 on Verizon. Couldn't be happier. The beautiful hardware, battery life and software stability of the iPhone more than make up for the slower speeds.

6. Brucewl macrumors 6502

Brucewl

I should admit that my Android Phone is really need battery! And almost one charge per day:eek:

7. jnl1211 macrumors 6502

jnl1211

Switched for more stability/reliability and to be able to walk in an Apple store and exchange phone. Since I'm not on att or anything I'd have to send phone in for repair wait 2 weeks, it was dumb.

8. illini71 macrumors member

Podcast management and build quality are the two big reasons for me. I didnt have battery issues with samsung phones just HTC phones.

9. D1G1T4L macrumors 68000

D1G1T4L

10. YMark macrumors 6502a

YMark

I can't wait to get rid of my POS Android (although it is only 3G). The reasons I'll be dumping the Android:

- Battery flat out SUCKS, reminds me of the old analog phone batteries.
    - Email has a mind of its own. Some days sending sucks, some days receiving sucks. Say what you want about a Blackberry, but RIM kicks the snot out of Android when it comes to email.
    - Upgrading ROMs is a royal PITA, same for themes.
    - not impressed with Bluetooth performance, but this could be the device.

11. haticK macrumors 6502a

haticK

I currently have a Droid X (I know it's 3G) and plan on getting the new iPhone. I'm not a huge fan of the widgets, I have them to primarily take up screen space and I don't actually use them. The phone also lags a lot or completely restarts or locks up, not to mention tons of the apps force close. Overall I'm just wanting the iPhone because I like the look of everything and the smoothness of the OS. As far as battery life, I can't complain a lot because I'm always near a charger, but the battery does drain pretty fast if I listen to music and play a couple games...then add in some text messages and it will be 50% in an hour.

12. SR71 macrumors 68000

Same here bro. Switched from an HTC Thunderbolt and while 4G LTE was friggin' amazing, the battery life was not and would only last about 3-6 hours max.

I'll wait for the iPhone 6 next summer and hopefully by then it'll have 4G LTE connectivity, plus my contract is up next summer anyways :)

So yep, there's my story.

13. ap3604 macrumors 68000

Not sure why anyone would purchase a LTE or WiMax device. What so you can show off your speediest results to your geeky friends (while having to look for a charger)? Both have atrocious battery life because of their "4g".

HSPA+ with enhanced backhaul though is a different story and quite good :)

14. jp700p macrumors regular

I got the Thunderbolt off ebay a few days before the unlimited data was going away on Verizon.

When I did a speedtest on LTE, I got 17 mbps download speeds on average! I was floored at the speeds.

However when I went to a spotty 4G area, the phone acted weird. It kept switching back and forth from 1x, to 3G and then back to LTE, and then would cycle that over and over again. I couldn't get any data connection.

I decided to download an app to shut off 4G. I was willing to live with 3G. Unfortunately even in a good coverage area (full bars) I only got an average of 0.5 mbps. On my AT&T iPhone 4, I got an average of over 1 mbps.

Instead of cancelling my Verizon account, I suspended it. I'm going to keep it suspended until I know more about the iPhone 5. I recently got unlimited data with AT&T so I will stick with them as long as AT&T doesn't make you go with a tier for some reason for the iPhone 5.

15. greenchiliman macrumors 6502

Have a co-worker who went from EVO 4G to iphone 4. Loved android until he didn't. Battery issues, network issues. He even had a Xoom that he sold for an ipad. Im predicting iphone5 will cause mass migration away from android, regardless of specs.

16. Cali4ever, Jul 19, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2011

Cali4ever thread starter macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_8 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8E401 Safari/6533.18.5)

Got to admit , I am going to dump my iPhone once the droid bionic releases.........

Bionic will be a monster.............

17. erayser macrumors 65816

erayser

My Verizon 4G LTE mifi lasted me the whole day at Disneyland... and I was streaming a lot live video of a paintball tournament that was happening in Chicago at the time on my iPad. It was nice when standing in line for rides. Since I can connect 5 devices to it, I was streaming while my wife was facebooking, watching vids, and uploading pics from her iPhone.

I should add I have a 4400mAh lithium ion portable battery charger so that helped it last the day.;) Since I keep my mifi and charger in my backpack, our iDevices were free of cords. Plus the batteries last longer in our iPhone's and iPad since we are connected by wifi. However, without the help of a charger, my Verizon 4G LTE mifi lasts for around 3+ hours of continous data usage. My wife and I stream NetFlix movies on my iPad 2 while sitting at beach on date nights... and after watching a 90 min to 2 hour movie, I still have around 50% battery life. When I get a 4G LTE signal, I can see the difference when streaming NetFlix compared to when I connect to Verizon or AT&T's 3G... especially on the iPad 2.

18. SR71 macrumors 68000

It'll also have a locked boot loader which sucks for Android because then the dev's won't be able to make real custom ROM's. Motorola sucks, by the way.

19. French macrumors regular

I was in the same camp at one point but just fed up with the delays, etc.,. The Droid X is one of the better phones Verizon has come out with but I couldn't tolerate the reboots, wifi that wouldn't stay connected, calls that wouldn't go through without a reboot, texts that wouldn't send without a reboot. Just got to the point where I want my phone to work as intended and I decided to check out the iPhone. I've had growing pains, but ultimately I do now have a phone that doesn't reboot on me, always sends and receives calls, always sends and receives texts, and even stays connected to my home wifi.

I really wanted to hold out for the Bionic but I fear at this point it's going to be yet another device on Verizon that "almost" or "could have" and didn't.

20. Hermes Monster macrumors 6502a

Hermes Monster

I've been thinking of moving to the HTC Sensation, as I'm sick of waiting for the new iPhone - I'm very impatient! :p

Can anyone comment on the android app store? Has it caught up to Apples in terms of the quality of apps? I had the HTC desire last year and the app store sucked!

21. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

<deleted>

Oops. My bad. Trying to eat lunch at the same time.

22. sentinelsx macrumors 68010

I have tried the marketplace on my spare captivate and it's still catching up. The apps are there but finding them is a different story.

I tried the sensation at a Bell store but the screen simply doesn't impress me at all. The galaxy s 2 has an awesome screen but the same android quirks aren't convincing.

Besides I find out although I am longing for a newer phone due to all these flashy products coming out in stores, every time I am reading a book, watching a movie, composing/receiving mail and talking over ebuddy I appreciate how easy it is do on iPhone. The others can do it, true, but not as nicely IMO.

I have tried five times to switch to android (no joke) and apparently it is too hard to leave the "just works" way an iPhone runs things. Besides I find I can do anything using a good quality app.

23. Hermes Monster macrumors 6502a

Hermes Monster

Thanks for the info, I'm fairly sure I'll stick with iPhone but I love shiny things :p I did however like the HTC sensation screen, especially the curved glass which made it feel smaller - I didnt like holding the galaxy s2 ..

24. Jagardn macrumors 6502a

The android market has a lot of apps and many of the common ones are on Android and iOS. In my opinion, the App Store will always have higher quality apps. Apple has made it very lucrative for developers, and I don't mind paying for apps provided they are high quality. :)

25. Hermes Monster macrumors 6502a

Hermes Monster

I found when I had my HTC the apps that were on android and iOS, were much more...polished on iOS. Sounds like it's still the same..