Anybody switch from att to VZW or planning to switch to VZW? Tell us why?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Bonds79, Apr 23, 2011.

1. Bonds79 macrumors 6502

Anybody switch from att to VZW or planning to switch to VZW? Tell us why?

2. elgrecomac macrumors 65816

elgrecomac

This is an easy one...

In the places I live, work and travel, ATT coverage SUCKS big time: San Diego, the Silicon Valley and New York City. Therefore, I will be switching from ATT to Verizon and not looking back once my contract is up with ATT.

BTW, ATT has, for 2 years now, promised better coverage. And it two years their coverage and service in the aforementioned areas remains pure, 100% male bovine fecal material, AKA, BS.

:cool:

3. wordoflife, Apr 23, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2011

wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

I'm not switching.
    1) AT&T coverage is good for me. Pretty much 5 bars every where I normally go.
    2) Faster data speeds than Verizon (2.5-3Mb/s)
    3) GSM iPhone seems to have more features than CDMA iPhone. (simultaneous voice+data for example, I think it handles more calls on a conference call, etc, etc ... and iOS has more features on the GSM version than Verizon version right now... i think?)
    4) I can use it with any GSM carrier (kinda)
    5) easier to sell GSM model (imo)
    6) cheaper phone bill with AT&T
    7) Roll over minutes (over 2300 of them) so overage charges are very unlikely for us.
    8) Free mobile to mobile (and a lot of people I know use AT&T. Not sure if Verizon has this to other cell phones or not like AT&T does)
    9) AT&T can't just blacklist my phone for whatever reason. (like not paying my bill on time .... not like that really should matter anyways because you are still obliged to pay)
    10) can be used in another country.

4. frunkis54, Apr 23, 2011

frunkis54 macrumors 65816

frunkis54

3) GPS iPhone seems to have more features than CDMA iPhone. (simultaneous voice+data for example ... and iOS has more features on the GSM version than Verizon version right now... i think?)

Besides not having simultaneous voice+data(exlcuding when your on wifi) what feature doess the GSM version have that the cdma doesn't? i wasn't aware of any.

8) verizon does have free mobile to mobile. they also offer free texting to other verizon customers.

5. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

CDMA iPhone can only support up to two calls on a conference call, GSM iPhone can do up to 5.
    CDMA iPhone doesn't have the ability to place a call on hold. GSM can.
    And to turn some voice features on or off on the CDMA iPhone, you have to dial something like this *70 instead of just being able to go inside phone settings. I'm not saying I use all these features, but it is what it is.
    I'm not sure if 4.2.7 has the features that 4.3 had like Airplay. It might (but I'm not sure)

8) Oh okay, I didn't know that. Is it mobile to any mobile, or verizon to verizon?

6. frunkis54, Apr 23, 2011

frunkis54 macrumors 65816

frunkis54

OK did not know that about conference not a feature i ever use along with HOLD. nope airplay should work on verizon iphone when the iOS numbers sync up

it is just like att, mobile to mobile is att to att or verizon to verizon.

7. Big D 51 macrumors 6502a

Big D 51

I switched to Verizon and it is 1000 times better for my area.

Very happy I made the moved.

8. zephxiii macrumors 6502

Not me. I would actually have worse service inba couple of areas. That and mobile to any mobile is awesome for my 5 line family plan!!

9. Nuc macrumors 6502a

Nuc

I switched to VZW from the ATT iPhone. I've been very happy with the speed and reception and network speed. I get 3G every were I go. I've had no dropped calls since coming back to VZW.

I switch almost two years ago to ATT from VZW. I had more dropped calls with ATT in the first several months than I had in the previous 8 years with VZW.

I'm glad I switched back!

Nuc

10. endo689 macrumors newbie

Completely agree used to have sprint then switched to tmobile. I avoided AT&T like the plague because of all the horror stories I've heard from friends and family (I live in the Bay Area, CA). So I picked up the vzw iPhone 4 and so glad I did all places I've been to I've had nothing but full bars unlike all the other carriers I've tried.

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk

11. frunkis54 macrumors 65816

frunkis54

I switched last year to verizon because my house is a at&t dead zone(literally) you 1 street over and you have full bars. when i was near my home i was lucky if make a phone even luckier if i could complete the call without having to call back.

since switch to verizon i haven't had 1 droped call sure the speeds are alittle slower but hey i'll take a slower phone any day over one that DOESN'T WORK.

12. ani23 macrumors 6502

Company switched me.

Couldn't wait. Att in NYC dropped 1 in 3 calls.

I no longer keep saying hello hello

13. elgrecomac macrumors 65816

elgrecomac

Exactly...

First and foremost, the iPhone must function as a.....PHONE! Dropped calls and poor coverage totally negate the call/data feature. Also, I have NEVER, in over 50 years of using a phone of any kind, had to have a 5 way conference call. 3 way, yes. 5 way, really?

14. Stein357 macrumors 6502

I switched because coverage is terrible where I live. It's funny to listen to my friends now that are on AT&T complain about how their phones don't work.

15. Apple... macrumors 68020

Apple...

Good coverage, overall robust network, fast 4G rollout, decent download/ upload speeds, etc. - but it's not the cheapest either. :D

16. jredecop macrumors 6502a

Why I switched.
    1) Verizon coverage is great for me. Pretty much 5 bars 3G every where I go.
    2) Slower data speeds than ATT, but I still load web sites quicker than all of my family with their iPhone 4s on att 3g, plus my 3G is every where!!
    3) NEVER have dropped a call since the switch...
    4) (nothing to say here lol)...
    5) been a while since i checked, but verizon iphone 4's were higher on ebay than att ones
    6) cheaper phone bill with Verizon, dont need as many minutes because any mobile number I call is free
    7) Mobile to any mobile is free so overage charges are very unlikely for us.
    8) Free mobile to mobile to anyone.
    9) Never been late on a payment, but yes they can blacklist my phone for this
    10) can be used in other countries as well, though not as widespread as gsm, but then again i have left the US once in my whole life so this is not important to me

17. maclaptop macrumors 65816

maclaptop

I've used both Verizon and AT&T concurrently for a decade, so I didn't switch.

But what I did do was to try an iPhone on Verizon on the chance that Apple in their best cloak and dagger silence would give it a better antenna. No dice. Not bad, but still not as good as my Verizon Droid X.

Apple seriously needs to build a good antenna and select the most compatible phone chip for the network the phone is on.

I'm really baffled why Apple does not take it's phone performance seriously and build a good one.

The same goes for AT&T, whenever my iPhone 4 on AT&T drops a call I immediately pickup my HTC Inspire and the call is crystal clear, the voice tones are warm and dropping is something that doesn't even enter my mind.

In fact if anything I know for a fact, since I always have multiple smart phones, that AT&T got the raw end of the deal. Until the iPhone they never had a mass number of complaints. And it's not because so many iPhones were sold that overloaded the network.

Its all because iPhones have never had good phone performance. Period.

But I will give Steve and Company credit for being the master con artists to get everyone to blame it on AT&T. Somethings at Apple never change.

There are two facts:
    1) Apple and Steve Jobs can sell anything.
    2) He takes responsibility for nothing, but points the finger like a pro.

18. xraydoc macrumors 604

xraydoc

I switched when the Verizon phone first came out.

Verizon coverage >> AT&T where I am, plus we have VZW boosters at work so I get awesome service. My old AT&T iP4 used to sit on "Searching..." or "No Service" for most of the day at work. Plus, from work, I can dial a special code and get in to our phone system at work and make calls to in-building extensions without using my minutes.

No dropped calls. Not one since getting the Verizon iPhone except when calling my wife's AT&T iPhone (she's still on contract).

Benchmark dowload/upload speeds are slower on 3G but honestly for loading typical websites I've not seen any difference. Big email attachments or apps might take a second or two more, but I'd rather this than suffer with AT&T crappy voice service again.

So happy with my Verizon iPhone that my iPad 2 is also a Verizon model.

19. erayser macrumors 65816

erayser

Being a customer of both carriers, I'm not going to say one is crap over other. Both have good and bad things. I'm a believer on going with gives you the best service in your area.

20. Apple... macrumors 68020

Apple...

How many phones do you have??? :confused:

21. Diseal3 macrumors 65816

Actually AT&T has free calling to any cell phone carrier now. Need to have unlimited texting feature though.

22. stisdal macrumors 6502

stisdal

With AT&T you get free any carrier mobile to mobile if you have a text plan.

23. Vizin, Apr 23, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2013