Carrier Anybody taking advantage of the $100 credit for all new devices on att?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Abandapart82, Feb 24, 2014.

1. Abandapart82 macrumors member

So I had an iPad 3 which I loved but due to some financial difficulties I had to get rid of it about 18 months ago. Anyway, my financial situation has stabilized and it seems I can look into getting to an ipad again.

It turns out that AT&T has a promotion where if you buy a tablet from them and keep it activated for 45 days they give you $100 credit on your bill. The kicker is that you have to sign a two year deal for the data but other then that it seems to be legit.

Is there anything else I should concern myself with? Also are there any pitfalls when it comes to using their AT&T next program?

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Do you currently have ATT? Are you sure you want to sign up with them for 2 years?

It doesn't sound like a bad deal, especially if you use them for cell phones.

I added my iPad onto my VZW account without committing to two years. For some reason signing a contract for a iPad for two years seems a bit extreme to me

3. EDH667 macrumors 6502a

EDH667

AT&T offers the same $100 bill credit if you purchase a cellular iPad somewhere else and activate in on your mobile share plan with a 2-year commitment.

4. Abandapart82 thread starter macrumors member

Yeah I currently am an AT&T customer. The two
    year commitment is a little extreme but I've been with them since iphone 3G so I don't plan on going anywhere.

5. MyiBill macrumors 6502

Even if you did the early termination fee starts are $150 so after a few months your even anyway.

6. joeshmo2010 macrumors 6502a

7. Abandapart82 thread starter macrumors member

Oh ok! Good to know thanks!

8. saltd, Feb 26, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2014

saltd macrumors 6502

saltd

I did this. It was 100 dollars off the initial cost of the tablet, plus you get the 100 dollar rebate after 45 days. So the iPad mini retina 16GB with cellular was $429.00 to begin with (down from $529.00) and then the rebate will come on top of that. So. basically $200 off. Plus tax of course.

In order get this deal you must pay up front for the iPad, and you must sign a two-year contract. If you use the NEXT installment program, you will still get the $100 rebate but you will end up paying full price for the device.

Also, if you go for the 10GB data plan right now, tethering is unlocked. I used to pay 20 bucks extra for that. Worth noting, but they might not reveal that to you readily in the interest of selling LTE iPads.

Maybe this has been covered already, but I thought I'd share the details of my transaction. I'd say it's a decent deal if you are wanting to stay with AT&T.

9. mastershakess macrumors 6502

I got the $100 credit through Verizon. $409 for Mini Retina 32gb plus $100 credit and no activation fee

10. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

I'm debating doing this. I have AT&T on my iPhone but currently on the free 250MB per month data promotion on my iPad with T-Mobile. 250MB is not enough some months, though if I do this I'll lose my older, cheaper plan on AT&T and will be paying $20-$30 more a month for the privilege. Then again, I could pay for T-Mobile's monthly data pass and that, too would be about $30. BUT... I don't always need it on good-wifi months when 250MB will do.

There IS the $100 credit to soften the blow, but bear in mind that there's also a $36 activation fee for each new line, and AT&T has been very stingy with refunding these fees lately. So you're really getting more like $64.