Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hajime

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jul 23, 2007
Hi, has anybody tried this SSD on a Windows laptop? How is its reliability, performance and power consumption compared with the Samsung 970 Evo Plus line?

One Amazon user mentioned: " it uses 4k byte sectors and has no 512 byte emulation (512e). This minor detail cost me 12+ hours of trying to figure out how to make the drive work with what I needed to do with it (clone and encrypt my OS). For clean installs, this should not be a problem. Cloning a hard drive is a problem, however, because you will need to have cloning software that can convert 512 byte sectors to 4k sectors, and even then, the cloning software may not be able to convert the boot partition (which happened to me), which will result in it being impossible to boot your computer. "

Anybody knows what he is talking about?

Too bad Samsung does not have a 4TB version yet.

Last edited:

jrichards1408

macrumors 6502a
Nov 4, 2016
Hi, has anybody tried this SSD on a Windows laptop? How is its reliability, performance and power consumption compared with the Samsung 970 Evo Plus line?

One Amazon user mentioned: " it uses 4k byte sectors and has no 512 byte emulation (512e). This minor detail cost me 12+ hours of trying to figure out how to make the drive work with what I needed to do with it (clone and encrypt my OS). For clean installs, this should not be a problem. Cloning a hard drive is a problem, however, because you will need to have cloning software that can convert 512 byte sectors to 4k sectors, and even then, the cloning software may not be able to convert the boot partition (which happened to me), which will result in it being impossible to boot your computer. "

Anybody knows what he is talking about?

Too bad Samsung does not have a 4TB version yet.
No but I just bought the 2tb version. I understand that there is a specific cloning software for it though

Thysanoptera

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2018
Pittsburgh, PA
I have this drive in my Blade Stealth. It came with 512e sectors, looks like early models had 4k sectors - but even for those Sabrent has firmware update that allows to switch to 512e. Just google about 4k and 512 sectors, it is a non-issue unless you clone the drive. I cloned my 2TB to it without sector size related problems.

It is a two sided drive, so I'm using thermal pads on top and bottom of it. Runs cool although I don't believe the temperature sensor on it, the surface of my external enclosure when cloning was 10C warmer than reported internal temperature. I don't feel warm spot from it on laptop chassis so that's all I care. A good drive, although a little expensive, 3.5 GB/s - 1.8 GB/s sequential read/write.

Never mind

macrumors 65816
Oct 25, 2018
Dunedin, Florida
Since you have a Windows laptop now, why don’t you go over, and start asking the manufacture laptop forum with this question? very few windows computers on Macrumors site.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.