Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Think it's very unlikely more so with the new iphone/ios 5 launching.

where has this rumour come through? why would they bring out a new ipad when the 2 was only brought out a fair few months ago?

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3GS: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_4 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8K2 Safari/6533.18.5)

I think there is about a 20% chance of a new model iPad this year. Just my guess.

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
There is a 7.6% chance of a new iPad, 11.3% chance of a new iPod Touch, and a 22.5% chance that the iPod Touch will be discontinued... later this year.

BCurry1

macrumors member
Jun 12, 2009
Oklahoma
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_4 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8K2 Safari/6533.18.5)

No.

interwebs

macrumors member
May 26, 2011
Doubtful. Apple mostly competes on the quality of the UI, platform integration, aesthetics/industrial design, and brand cachet rather than hardware. That isn't to say they use cruddy hardware; they don't. It just isn't the main manner in which they compete. Apple has a massive advantage over their competitors in terms of apps ecosystem, and at least arguably a fairly significant advantage in terms of overall look and feel of the iPad versus most of its competitors. Couple that with platform integration with other pieces of hardware and the result is many (if not most) people who buy these products don't see Apple's competitors are truly viable alternatives. There may be a few people on MacRumors willing to jump ship over a high resolution display but I would guess in general people will just wait for whenever Apple happens to deliver it in iPad form, so Apple has little incentive to release early and absorb the risks associated with having to stick in uprated current-gen architecture to support 4x resolution versus waiting for next-gen architecture next year which will be considerably more likely to provide a smooth transition in user experience (speed, battery life, etc.)

I'm not saying it's impossible; I just don't think there is as much of an imperative as some of the promoters of this rumor have suggested. It's conceivable that Apple may come out with such a device but, to be honest, I think a lot of people would end up waiting for the iPad 3 anyway if that were the case because of the above-mentioned point about underlying architecture.

Last edited:

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
No.

Unless someone like Samsung brought out a Retina Screen Tegra3 tablet which many would go GaGa over. Which I can't see happening.

hcho3

macrumors 68030
May 13, 2010
Apple can't get even their iPhone launch date together. They can somehow release another iPad model? No.

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
It's extremely rare when Apple breaks an established refresh cycle. When they do, they tend to be late -- not early. However, I wouldn't be surprised if it *did* happen. The tablet market is extremely hot right now. While the iPad 2 is doing great, the market is changing very rapidly with new tablets being released monthly.

Apple...

macrumors 68020
May 6, 2010
The United States
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

No, and where's the poll?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.