Anybody used the Moshi ClearGuard Keyboard Protector on both the new and old MBPs

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by hajime, Apr 23, 2010.

1. hajime macrumors 68030

Hello. I read reviews that except for the area around the function keys, this protector fits the keyboard of previous generation of unibody MBPs very well. I have been using it on the new MBP 17" for two days. I found it otherwise. Could it be that all the keys on the new MBPs are slightly smaller and shorter in height? I heard that the keys from the previous generation of MBPs could be taken out by the users easily. However, the keys of the new MBPs cannot be taken out without taking the motherboard first. Apple might have made slight changes in the keys' dimensions. So, although the keyboard protector can still be used on the new MBPs, it does not fit the keyboard as well as before. Could anybody who has tried it on both the old and new MBPs verify this? Thanks.

2. davidjearly macrumors 68020

davidjearly

It fits both fine. I used it on both my 2009 15" MBP, and my new 2010 17" MBP. It fits both equally well and still overhangs the function keys at the top.

3. hajime thread starter macrumors 68030

Thanks for the reply, David. In my case, in addition to the functions keys at the top, it overhangs the space bar and those keys in the same bottom row as well. You don't have this problem?

4. davidjearly macrumors 68020

davidjearly

No problem. There doesn't seem to be any overhang on the bottom row of keys for me, including the spacebar. Then again, I have only used it for a couple of months. If you have had yours for longer, is it possible that it has become more worn (stretched) out?

5. hajime thread starter macrumors 68030

The ClearGuard Keyboard Protector I bought is brand new. I have only used it for two days. I immediately noticed the problem when I put it on the MBP the first time.

6. machiabelly macrumors newbie

Mine has a slight overhang on the top for the function keys, but definitely no overhang for the bottom. Maybe that is something you can bring up with their customer support?

7. murdercitydevil macrumors 68000

murdercitydevil

I just got mine today and it also has overhang on the top. Honestly so far I'm not very impressed with this thing. My typing has also gone down the drain...and I'm a really fast typist normally. How long does it usually take to get used to this thing?

8. hajime thread starter macrumors 68030

I have been using it for about a month. I am very unhappy with it.

1. At least for the one I got, right at the beginning it has overhang on the bottom as well. On the bottom row, the ClearGuard does not seem to fit the keys (fn to space) very well. It is like floating on the keys. Moshi keeps telling me that the product should be compatible with the new MBPs as there is no physical difference between the old and new ones.

2. Even I am a guy with short finger nails, within a few days of use, I already see cloud-like marks on the ClearGuard. I did not have this problem when I used similar product from another company few years ago.

Anybody else has these two problems?