Anybody w/ the 13" i5 2.3ghz want to do an Illustrator test for me?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by AppleGoat, Mar 1, 2011.

1. AppleGoat macrumors 6502a

Somebody with the new baseline 13" MBP and Adobe Illustrator CS5 could you try something out for me? It involves the 3D bevel and extrude effect.

2. benpatient macrumors 68000

hey, maybe you should actually ask your question or leave your request, or whatever? i mean...tell us what you want. this isn't a chat room!

3. AppleGoat thread starter macrumors 6502a

Sorry, my questions is:

On my 2010 MBP 13", I notice that when I do 3D effects (extrude and bevel) I normally get the wait bar when it has to render and such. For instance, I draw a circle or square or whatever then fill it in, then do the 3D effect bevel and extrude. Whenever, I select preview it needs time to load and this process becomes more complicated when I add other effects then return to the bevel and extrude effect. This may have more to do with the program's limitations -- I notice on my activity monitor that processor is only working 50% (at most) while the rendering bar is up. The faster i5 wouldn't speed this up, would it?

4. snouter macrumors 6502a

I don't know for sure, but some things like that take a while to load up. For instance some of the watercolor filters in Photoshop just seem to take a while to initialize and load up for use.

I would blame the software more than the computer in that case. Could be that those "modules" are not used enough to warrant loading every time you open Illustrator so they are kind of opened/loaded when needed.

There is a good chance that after you open and extrude the first time, the second time goes a lot faster as long as you don't close Illustrator.

5. AppleGoat thread starter macrumors 6502a

Idk, probably is the software. I did read that a higher clock speed is more important than multiple cores in Illustrator. So that means that my 2010 MBP 2.4ghz beats the i5 2.3 and 2-2.3 line of quad cores in that capacity.

6. 87am macrumors regular

Unlikely. TurboBoost 2.0 allows each core in the new processors to hit up to 3.4 Ghz.

7. axu539 macrumors 6502a

No, it doesn't, because clock for clock, SB beats Arrandale by an average of 15%. And clock for clock, Arrandale beats C2D by about that much too. Thus, your 2.4 GHz C2D really only beats a 1.7 GHz Sandy Bridge machine.

8. AppleGoat thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ok, has anybody with the 13" i5 tried out my test in Illustrator?