Anybody win the lottery but if you did....

Mac'nCheese

Suspended
Original poster
Feb 9, 2010
talking about the lottery at work. A coworkers girlfriend won the semi final nj second chance sweepstakes and has a 1/400 chance of winning a million. Wondering if anyone here won anything of note in the lottery or other sweepstakes. The most I’ve won was $500 on a scratch off for myself and shared $600 at work on a pool. So nothing of note here!

Zenithal

macrumors G3
Sep 10, 2009
No, but I've won a few thousand on a scratcher. I usually win those. Luck I guess. Generally don't gamble outside of the rare scratcher.

Reactions: Mac'nCheese

Mac'nCheese

Suspended
Original poster
Feb 9, 2010
I won three dollars once. I demanded a check....with two signatures.
I’ve gotten checks for a few bucks a bunch of times. Whenever I go on a road trip, I always buy that states pick five and six and play the same numbers for a month or two straight. Since I’m not driving back there if I only win a few bucks, I have to mail in the winning tickets.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
The Far Horizon
My dad did one year at work; it helped fund his foreign holiday with my mum that year.

A quarter of a century ago, I won an impressive crate of serious wine in a generous Christmas draw run by a local delicatessen; at the time, - 1992 - it was worth around £300-400. I was stunned to win first prize - I had thought (or hoped) that I might win one of the smaller prizes.

Last edited:

Zenithal

macrumors G3
Sep 10, 2009
My dad did one year at work; it helped fund his foreign holiday with my mum that year.

A quarter of a century ago, I won a serious crate of wine in a generous Christmas draw run by a local delicatessen; at the time, - 1992 - it was worth around £300-400. I was stunned to win first prize - I had thought (or hoped) that I might win one of the smaller prizes.
I'd settle for a lifetime supply of 50 bottles a month of Riesling from any of my favorite wineries.

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

A.Goldberg

macrumors 68020
Jan 31, 2015
Boston
I've never bought a lottery ticket in my life. Probably never will. I think its disgraceful how the lotto takes advantage of the poor and uneducated.

I've won some random lottery things at work- usually tickets to a Boston sporting event, gift certificates, etc.

LizKat

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
I used to buy a $20 lottery ticket now and then, usually when I was daydreaming about how to fund something like another $2000 worth of what ended up instead being sweat equity in my old house lol. Eventually I did the simple math (forget the odds) and realized that just 10 of those tix would fund $200 of avoided sweat so what was I thinking?!

One of my younger bros happened to win (honestly) a doorprize at the opening of a bank branch once, back in the day when they didn't even screen out relatives of employees. It was a bank that employed my granddad, who took the bro along to see the new branch open and to enjoy the general merriment.

Granddad absentmindly took a ticket for himself and one for the little bro at the door as the tix were being handed out by some employee who didn't recognize him, and he handed the stubs both to my brother for safekeeping.

All he could think later at the doorprize drawing time was that at least my bro held the both tickets so it wasn't him ending up the winner of a doorprize at his own bank.

Anyway the door prize was.. yah, a live collie puppy. My Dad was not pleased. But, too late!, the furry warm ball of energy had already been embraced and so that was that, the pup was ours.

That same bro once hit 2nd in a NYS lottery. It was enough to pay for new drywells in my side yard. Generous man, the bro!

kazmac

macrumors G3
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....
I won $500 on a scratcher and $50-200 on them more recently.

Last week I won $23 on one of those choose the numbers games (3 out of 5). Funny thing was, I knew if I played played one of those games at this particular retailer I would win. I did.

I play occasionally.

Last edited:

BigMcGuire

Contributor
Jan 10, 2012
California
First time to vegas a few years ago... won $50 at the penny slots. That was my first and last time ever playing slots. Funded my wife/mother in law’s slots fun for less than an hour. :p

Not a fan of lotto tickets. I can think of better ways to waste $.

Lioness~

macrumors 65816
Apr 26, 2017
I won at Lotto once, came very handy. I was ok with ~$10K at the time :)
Mom was insanely lucky at various ways of winning things. Wish I inherited all of her luck.

Last edited:

zen

macrumors 68000
Jun 26, 2003
Think the most I've won is about $20.

At high school, a science teacher won $800,000. This was around 1994 - later the same year, a student at the same school won $600,000. She was 18 when she won, so legally able to claim it.

That's as close as I've got!

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
talking about the lottery at work. A coworkers girlfriend won the semi final nj second chance sweepstakes and has a 1/400 chance of winning a million. Wondering if anyone here won anything of note in the lottery or other sweepstakes. The most I’ve won was $500 on a scratch off for myself and shared $600 at work on a pool. So nothing of note here!
Nope.

I can't even win the MacRumors give aways :).

trillionaire

macrumors regular
Dec 19, 2018
Canada
Nothing major, just around $250. Though to this day I remember the excitement as I sat at my computer checking the numbers and the first 4 matched. I was starting to perspire at that point, but then the 5th and 6th didn't match and that was the end of it. For a second there I was planning my new life, which felt really nice.

You should do a follow-up; "what would you do if you won the lottery?"

Mac'nCheese

Suspended
Original poster
Feb 9, 2010
But if you did.....what would u do?

Of course depends on how much. I would love to just hit the pick five and pay off the second mortgage and credit cards. Any more goes to first mortgage. Maybe a little into the kids college funds.