Anybody with a 2017 13" MacBook Pro w/TouchBar having good battery life?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by testudoaubreii, Jun 14, 2017.

1. testudoaubreii macrumors member

Hello. My question is pretty much what the title asks. For those of you how have the 2017 13" MacBook Pro (i5/8GB/256GB) w/TouchBar, how is the battery life, compared to the 2016 version?

On a side note: Will a hard case prevent proper heat dissipation or anything? I am going to search and go through the case thread, but I thought I would ask here, too.

Thank you in advance for your help.

2. Clete2 macrumors 65816

Clete2

The case may cause some issues under heavy load with heat. If you think about it, putting a case on is like wrapping your computer in a plastic blanket. Plastic is not as conductive of heat as the metal casing is, so you will get rid of less heat on the parts where the plastic shell is. In reality, you probably won't find that it's a big deal, but technically it will be worse than having a bare laptop.

3. testudoaubreii thread starter macrumors member

Thank you very much for your reply.

That is what I was thinking, too. I would like one, but if it does heat up, at all, it is a no go for me.

4. kebrone macrumors member

kebrone

I mostly use my mac on a desk and have placed a cooling pad under it. For me laptops have always been very heated up and not giving any good battery life. maximum of 4 hours with my usage.

5. ha1o2surfer macrumors 6502

Mixed use of Photos, remote desktop, itunes, lots of safari, brightness usually on 75%, some fusion (vm) usually gets me 9 hours (the point at which it says you need to plug in your mac)

BUT I do have the top end 2017, 1TB,16GB and the 7567U

6. underattack, Jun 21, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2017

underattack macrumors member

for "lite" usage, i am getting pretty much "all day" battery power. Light usage for me means that the laptop is sitting powered up on my desk and connected to WiFi. But I am not using it 100% of the time. Just to check e-mail and web. Right now, my battery indicator promises 13 1/2 hrs, which I know is wrong, but I get something between 6-10 hrs. So I don't have to worry about charging until I get to the charger in the evening. The expected run time varies widely with each application I start.

7. joefoong79 macrumors regular

macbook pro 2016 touch bar 2.9 8gb good battery life at 75% brightness watching video and safari get me around 9 hours.

Attached Files:

8. Fancuku macrumors 6502a

Fancuku

It's just an estimation. Those things are never accurate.

9. joefoong79 macrumors regular

buddy. i test this. 8-9 watching movie is correct. web surfing highly graphic like facebook, twitter.... 6-7 hours is max with 75% brightness. this is honest feedback. if you get less then that will be problem. if get the more then that then you are steve job. LoL

10. fred911 macrumors newbie

fred911

4-6 hours only. i will return it for this reason.
    touchbar is useless, actually detrimental when you do not use apple apps. and this useless and annoying siri button which is enforced and cannot be removed..

anything else is nice on the machine. touchless version ordered, arriving next week. fingerprint is only for criminals where i come from

11. joefoong79 macrumors regular

what the brightness of your setting? if you set 75% and keeping continuosly browsing highly intensive website like facebook or twitter ( which mean using you trackpad scrolling alot) then is should be normal.

12. pmart macrumors newbie

I have a 13" MBP TB, standard specs but 512 storage. I was only getting an hour with light usage (internet browsing). So I immediately contacted Apple and they replaced it today. The new one I have is a lot better, but nowhere near as good as my 2013 MBP. I am thinking the TB eats a lot of battery. There are some cool features the TB brings, but not sire its worth it for reduces battery life.

13. heyheylucas macrumors newbie

I get 8 hours easily with web browsing, emailing and streaming Spotify at 60% brightness and Wifi enabled. Battery time goes lower with heavier tasks like big downloads, working with Photoshop but its still at around 5 hours

14. joefoong79 macrumors regular

Now no body care how much battery life anymore . All my friend use battery pack to get 15+ hours now. Problem solved:D