Anyone able to grab a gold phone in the NYC/LI area since launch?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by NYY FaN, Sep 25, 2013.

1. NYY FaN macrumors 6502

NYY FaN

I just received my 5S space gray but I'm thinking of exchanging it for a gold phone. Has anyone in the area been able to walk into an Apple store and found one in stock since launch day? I called around today and no luck.

2. Dundonik macrumors regular

I live in Babylon and was unable to find any near me, when i went to Radio Shack to get my Space Grey I asked if they had any gold and the guy just laughed, good luck and let me know if you find anywhere !

3. skywalkerr69 macrumors 6502a

skywalkerr69

I'm not buying one, but there are people around the office who are talking about getting one and there are none to be found. I'm located on Wall St though. They have visited all the local stores, not Grand Central though.

4. alent1234 macrumors 603

i'm going to buy one before the year is out. but i'm not going to camp out or go to the store every day.

i played with the 5S over the weekend. nice phone, but not that much better than my 5 to get excited about

5. NYY FaN thread starter macrumors 6502

NYY FaN

I work across the street from the Grand Central store - I guess it might be my best chance to see if they have any around 8am when I get in. Might get lucky at a LI store if people dont bother to check thinking they dont have any hah...

6. alent1234 macrumors 603

i would go to the manhasset store first. seems to be the quietest apple store i have ever seen. might try the staten island store as well

7. Xgm541 macrumors 6502a

You'd have to get there before 8AM. This morning at Grand Central, around 7:20AM, the line was about 100 people long.

8. NYY FaN thread starter macrumors 6502

NYY FaN

Yeah I figured.. Do they still line up outside grand central? Wonder if Apple stores get shipments in the middle of the day and start selling them or if they just wait for the next morning. Manhasset and Smithhaven seem to be the quietest stores in the area. I saw both stores had silver in stock when the online reservation system was still up.

9. mightygitis macrumors 6502

mightygitis

I don't know anything about NYC stores. But I do know my local store has been getting midday shipments. Sometimes at like 11 am. My silver came from a shipment that arrived at 6pm.

10. titans1127 macrumors 6502a

I got one from the in-store pickup Monday night at Roosevelt Field. 32gig for ATT

11. NYY FaN thread starter macrumors 6502

NYY FaN

What time in the day did you go to buy the phone?

12. mightygitis macrumors 6502

mightygitis

Purchased at 7:30 pm on Monday. And it was a fairly big shipment too. Phones were flying out the door like crazy!

13. Xgm541 macrumors 6502a

The people in the morning were lined up inside grand central terminal. The line was quite long and blocked the entrance to the little convenience store below the apple store, so the lined curved.

I believe they get their shipment during the night or perhaps the day before, but they only sell the stock they have that morning.

14. tundotcom, Sep 25, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2013

tundotcom macrumors member

I was one of those on line at the Grand Central store. I got there a little after 6AM and managed to get an AT&T 32GB silver and AT&T 16GB space grey. They had Verizon 64GBs only by the time they got to me. T-Mobiles were also out of stock when they got to me but that's irrelevant really. The Chinese people at the front of the line ate up a lot of the 16GBs.

I tried waiting at Manhasset on Monday morning. I got there at opening with a modest line of people in front of me. We waited for 3.5 hours before an employee finally came out to tell us that they had no stock and were not expecting any for the day. After that experience, I will never go to a small store like Manhasset for a release.

Grand Central seems to be the best bet. Get there early enough and you'll pretty much walk away with a phone. The employee who I checked out with said they get at least 100+ phone shipments everyday. By the looks of people waiting on line with the cards, it seemed like they had 250+ for today. Just be careful with all of the sneaky people trying to cut the line and bum rush the bottom of the stairs. A lot of people were very passive aggressive and let people cut without saying anything.