Anyone able to reach 8 hours of LTE browsing?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by sparayno1, Sep 24, 2012.

1. sparayno1 macrumors newbie

Or 10 hours of Wifi browsing? I employ every battery saving tip possible and can only get 6 hours usage on LTE and 8 hours on Wifi. This is 2 hours lower than Apple's claims. I also noticed that LTE and ATT 4g drain the battery at the same rate so it is better to just stay on LTE. Either way, the battery is life is better than my previous SGS3, but I was just wondering how Apple was able to reach almost the same battery life as the iPad (9 hours LTE).

2. lamenramen macrumors regular

For every piece of gadgetry battery life, I would multiple by 0.6 to get the true real life measurements.

The bottom line is that Apple's products do have tangibly longer battery life than others'. This is what happens when you put out one phone a year as opposed to 5 phones a year. And it's what happens when you make custom chips, etc.

Unfortunately, the state of the art is that while Apple is better with regard to battery life, in no way shape or form are you going to get 8 hours of LTE browsing with any phone as of today with a standard-size battery.

3. FSMBP macrumors 68020

FSMBP

There are too many variables unknown in your tests. What sites were you browsing? Were you loading 'mobile sites' or where they they desktop version, how strong was your signal? etc...

I bet people can get close to 8 hours of LTE and I bet some people will get 4 hours. It depends on a lot of factors. I'd say 6 hours isn't too shabby.

4. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

I'll probably get there today. I've been browsing all day and still have 40% left. Super impressed by the battery on this thing.

5. blackhand1001, Sep 24, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2012

blackhand1001 macrumors 68030

blackhand1001

The RAZR maxx, RAZR HD. And RAZR Maxx HD will all do 8 hours of LTE battery. Motorola really did a great job of ditching all the bloat in their android 4.0 updates.

6. matty.p macrumors 6502

I went to bed last night with about 40% left on my battery about around 7 hours of usage. That was a mix of Wi-Fi, LTE, and 4G(3g). I would assume that I could easily get the 8-10 hours of usage that they are claiming. I've been really impressed with the battery life so far.

7. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

That's a laughable claim, I don't care who built the phone, or what platform it is. With every energy saving setting adjusted, I'm getting good battery life indeed. But 8 hours? Not even close :)

8. bogatyr macrumors 65816

And I can also attest to the Razr Maxx having excellent battery life while tethering. iPhone 5... not so much.

9. X-Ravin macrumors regular

Keep in mind a Raxr Maxx also has a battery with over 2x the capacity of the iPhone 5, weighs about 30% more, and is about 18% thicker. So they better do 8 hours! Compared to most smartphones, the battery life on the iPhone 5 is great. LTE sucks a ton of juice, I've had 4 4g phones before the iPhone 5, and none of them got close to the manufacturer's specs :)