Anyone all in on itunes movies and tv shows

jetjaguar

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 6, 2009
somewhere
Anyone go all in with getting their movie / tv shows with itunes ? especially now with the free upgrades to 4k ? I have a decent size library with about 300 movies .. was tempted to start getting some of my favorite shows but just dont know if that is a smart move. It seems like more stuff comes out in UV and also now disney and a few studios are starting their own download locker.

JWort93

macrumors member
Aug 3, 2013
It sounds like the new Movies Anywhere service that you are referring to will be built on the Disney Movies Anywhere platform, so I am hoping it will work with iTunes now, unlike UV did in the past. I am all in on iTunes movies and TV shows, whether or not it is.

Comment

jetjaguar

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 6, 2009
somewhere
yea ive been thinking about going all in but lately i have been really considering for the first time ditching my iphone and also my dated mac .. need a new computer and apple is like a year away at the soonest for a new mac pro .. really tempted to switch to pc

Comment

JeffPerrin

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2014
Anyone go all in with getting their movie / tv shows with itunes ?
For movies - definitely! The convenience of being able to stream or view your purchases on any device can't be beat. (Especially if you have kids!) The picture and audio quality is great as well - so much so, that we rarely fire up the Blu-ray player anymore. And with nearly 20 years in media biz, I would trust Apple & iTunes far more over any up-and-coming movie studio "digital locker" service. :rolleyes:

My only complaint with movies through iTunes is that the Dolby Digital audio quality on the 4th gen Apple TV is still not quite as good as Dolby pass-through you had on the older models. But that has more to do with Apple TV than iTunes itself.

Reactions: George Dawes
Comment

BJMRamage

macrumors 68020
Oct 2, 2007
I have between 400-500 movies on iTunes (I think around 475 is a closer amount). and then a bunch of TV shows...some are single episodes (free) and some are full seasons/Complete Series. I mainly buy TV documentaries I enjoy and then HBO shows.

Reactions: George Dawes
Comment

jetjaguar

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 6, 2009
somewhere
wish the tv shows were cheaper
[doublepost=1507741806][/doublepost]can you view itunes stuff on pc ? ill always have an ipad and apple tv but maybe not the phone or computer

Reactions: piperatthegates
Comment
The key concept with ALL of these options is not actually physically owning- or maybe possessing the media- just a lifetime* lease at best (with the asterisk meaning: if the Studio doesn't opt to yank their content at any time... similar to the true meaning of unlimited* cellular service).

Basically, in exchange for the convenience and perhaps resolving the (apparently) onerous physical media storage space problem, we let several "middlemen" slip in between us and what we perceive we are buying to own. One middleman is a very rich corporation that will probably be around for a very long time, so not too much to worry about there. The other is the keeper of the content who can have a falling out with the first over anything and at any time and then just yank their content. If they do, tough luck (you did read the fine print didn't you?).

The alternative is to buy the physical disc (for probably less cost if you shop around), convert it yourself at your own quality settings rather than going with what some stranger has chosen for you and then rent out massive warehouse space somewhere to find some expansive room to store all those discs. If you can overcome the warehousing hurdle, discs also act as your ultimate backup if your own hard drive fails and your backup hard drive fails. But yes, clearly, a physical copy takes up a gigantic and thoroughly burdensome amount of space for the average consumer's video collection. So there is that.

As with all things that seem "too good to be true": choose wisely.

Last edited:
Comment

Donfor39

macrumors 68000
Jul 26, 2012
Lanarkshire Scotland
I recently cancellled my Sat provider movies.
I’ve since returned to viewing a rental if and when required via aptv4k.
Been almost 1 week since purchase -getting to enjoy aptv4k more every time I use it,
Think I’ll be limited to days when I’m home to enjoy a movie.
Substantial savings from Sat subs every month.
I’ll never require to rent or purchase t.v. Shows from aptv -that’s where my Sat subs is excellent often in UHD accross my tv’s and Apple devices.
I think I have the perfect choice with aptv4k+Sat provider.
I’d rather book a rental rather than purchase as I want too see a movie which I’ve never viewed-maybe from a book I’ve read.
Added Netflix yeserday-not much I want from that though 1 or 2 movies are from kindle books I’ve read.
Impressed with aptv 4k as I since found swipe down via siri remote for 4K/Dolby Vision info on playback.

Comment

piperatthegates

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2017
Provo, UT
i'm all in myself! 600 movies and a number of TV seasons. I started back in '08 or so when it was all still kind of new. It was harder for me to go to stores and buy physical media and I also liked the idea of not having a bookshelf full of blu-ray cases taking up space. I love iTunes/Apple TV for movies. It's great.

As for TV seasons, I don't invest in those as much as movies. They're more costly.. and if you have a cable provider login, you can watch most shows via Apple TV apps, etc. But I do purchase Starz shows since they're app doesn't work with Xfinity login info. Or I'll purchase seasons of shows that I REALLY like so I could download them anytime I want to my iPad for on the go viewing.

Reactions: jetjaguar
Comment

archer75

macrumors 68030
Jan 26, 2005
Oregon
Hell no. That would lock me in to a very limited set of devices. I like to have the ability to flip between any device or TV and have access to my stuff. Which is one reason I use plex. For 4k I also buy the movies on disc. But I redeem all the codes on VUDU as it's available on everything.
For TV shows, just get friends/families logins who have cable/sat. Other than that use Sonarr.

Comment

jetjaguar

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 6, 2009
somewhere
Hell no. That would lock me in to a very limited set of devices. I like to have the ability to flip between any device or TV and have access to my stuff. Which is one reason I use plex. For 4k I also buy the movies on disc. But I redeem all the codes on VUDU as it's available on everything.
For TV shows, just get friends/families logins who have cable/sat. Other than that use Sonarr.
Would want to keep tv shows that are my favorites not just watching newest episodes

Comment

archer75

macrumors 68030
Jan 26, 2005
Oregon
Would want to keep tv shows that are my favorites not just watching newest episodes
Sonarr and done. Or just buy the discs. It's pretty pricey to buy individual episodes on the streaming services. At $1.99+ each by the time I buy a whole season I may as well just have cable!

Reactions: ssgbryan
Comment

Rigby

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2008
San Jose, CA
Anyone go all in with getting their movie / tv shows with itunes ? especially now with the free upgrades to 4k ?
I buy a decent number of both movies and TV shows from iTunes. I only buy discs for absolute favorites that depend heavily on visuals and audio (e.g. I will definitely get Bladerunner 2049 on Blu-ray when it comes out), or in some cases if they include 3D.
I have a decent size library with about 300 movies .. was tempted to start getting some of my favorite shows but just dont know if that is a smart move. It seems like more stuff comes out in UV and also now disney and a few studios are starting their own download locker.
The new locker will likely replace Disney's existing DMA system and work with most of the major studios. If it works like DMA, it will propagate movies from the participating studios between the linked retailers (iTunes, Amazon, Google Play, Vudu and probably a few others). So, if that turns out to be the case, you'll be able to buy a movie on iTunes and then use, say, the Vudu app on Android to watch it.
It looks like the launch is imminent, so just wait a little if you are unsure.

can you view itunes stuff on pc ?
Yes, using the Windows version of iTunes.
[doublepost=1507752270][/doublepost]
Sonarr and done. Or just buy the discs. It's pretty pricey to buy individual episodes on the streaming services. At $1.99+ each by the time I buy a whole season I may as well just have cable!
Still no justification to support pirating. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Reactions: dman67
Comment

doolittle27

macrumors member
Jan 20, 2016
San Francisco, CA, USA
945 movies on iTunes at the moment. Planning on keeping my library grows. Although there are times I doubt myself if I should go back to the physical disc or other service like VUDU since almost all movies come out with UV Codes. Plus, sometimes the number of movies in my library dropped a title or two (I keep track of how many movies I have). For the latter issue, I know I suppose to backup my own movie files, but oh well...

Comment

Rigby

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2008
San Jose, CA
945 movies on iTunes at the moment. Planning on keeping my library grows. Although there are times I doubt myself if I should go back to the physical disc or other service like VUDU since almost all movies come out with UV Codes.
Ultraviolet is dying due to lack of support form major retailers. Looks like the new Movies Anywhere service will launch any day now. Some studios have just started posting "mysterious" tweets under #AnywhereIsComing

https://twitter.com/Disney/status/918197316707811328

https://twitter.com/UniversalEnt/status/918189593589092352

https://twitter.com/FoxHomeEnt/status/918189477314437120

Reactions: BJMRamage
Comment

doolittle27

macrumors member
Jan 20, 2016
San Francisco, CA, USA
Ultraviolet is dying due to lack of support form major retailers. Looks like the new Movies Anywhere service will launch any day now. Some studios have just started posting "mysterious" tweets under #AnywhereIsComing

https://twitter.com/DisneyD23/status/918192887262613504

https://twitter.com/UniversalEnt/status/918189593589092352
Thank you for the info. Perhaps I will just stick with iTunes for now. However, with the number of movies growing up everyday, makes it harder to change to other services anyway. Who knows maybe the new service will have some deals **fingers crossed**

Comment

Rigby

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2008
San Jose, CA
Thank you for the info. Perhaps I will just stick with iTunes for now. However, with the number of movies growing up everyday, makes it harder to change to other services anyway. Who knows maybe the new service will have some deals **fingers crossed**
If "Movies Anywhere" works like DMA, changing services will no longer be an issue, since you'll be able to link your accounts and access your movies on each of them.

Comment

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Maybe its because I'm cheap but I feel movies on iTunes (or any similar services) are too expensive. It might because its very rarely that I want to watch the same movie twice (unless its some sort of classic I grew up with).

Comment

burgman

macrumors 68020
Sep 24, 2013
Maybe its because I'm cheap but I feel movies on iTunes (or any similar services) are too expensive. It might because its very rarely that I want to watch the same movie twice (unless its some sort of classic I grew up with).
If only you could rent content...

Comment

BJMRamage

macrumors 68020
Oct 2, 2007
Some Blu-ray’s (though if not buting sigital maybe not buying physical too) come with digital codes that allow you to have the movie both ways. Then you could sell the Bluray.

Some movies hit $5 for HD on iTunes.

Comment

archer75

macrumors 68030
Jan 26, 2005
Oregon
You can buy those codes online for up to $9 for new releases to just a couple bucks for slightly older stuff. And with itunes combining HD and 4k it works out to a good deal.

Reactions: cynics
Comment

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
If only you could rent content...
Lol, yeah yeah....

A lot of the rental prices seem steep as well, to the point I could almost justify buying over renting. While infinitely more convenient then redbox up until 4k iTunes redbox offered better quality (disc) and was cheaper.

Don't know why but for some reason I'm cheap when it comes to iTunes Movies (I have Apple Music which I love).

Comment

archer75

macrumors 68030
Jan 26, 2005
Oregon
There are 4k disc rental services like netflix. I do still rent the discs from netflix as I want the quality.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.