Anyone annoyed of external monitor connectivity issues?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Mikebuzzsaw, Mar 3, 2009.

1. Mikebuzzsaw macrumors 6502

I have a Dell 30 monitor and a unibody macbook pro. I bought the dual link dvi adapter and etc.

It's just annoying to get it working everyday I come home with my macbook pro. I put my MBP to sleep, connect the monitor, monitor flickers starts, then turns off. I sit there doing it 3-10 times depending on what kind of day it is, and it finally works.

Then I get the dreaded distortion and have to disconnect and reconnect the cable to make it go away. (Yes, energy is on highest performance)

Then I have to deal with my mbp running hotter than normal because it is connected to an external display.

I think I'm just gonna return my Dell Monitor or sell it because it's too frustrating to get the two to get along nicely!

2. AppleNewton macrumors 68000

AppleNewton

im testing out a friends 15" MBP with my 30" ACD and Mini-DP to Dual-Link DVI until my 17" unibody gets here... and iam having the same issues with adapter.

when i first plugged it in, it recognized it, i shut the lid...the monitor flickered and then shut off, then cam eback on then shut off and it wouldnt come on.
    I havent yet experienced the fuzzy/pixelation.

the only way i got it to work solid is to shut down the system, plug in the DP adapter and USB cable, turn the computer on, shut the lid and it has since worked...and i have been able to open the lid and run dual displays then shut it and it work fine.

i do get intermittent black outs for a split second here and there.
    so it snot solid...and it is a bit of headache to be limited with what i can test it with to see if its my stuff or the adapter... =\

3. Mikebuzzsaw thread starter macrumors 6502

Ive tried shutting it down, then turn it on and shutting the lid immediately, but the computer will not start.

4. AppleNewton macrumors 68000

AppleNewton

strange, is it plugged into the adapter? ive been getting random intermittent sleeps, and it not starting up too now.

5. lAciDl macrumors member

i love my 30" so much that i would return/get a new computer then get rid of the display, but that's just me.

6. digitalfx macrumors 6502a

digitalfx

I have the new 24" Apple Cinema Display...its a perfect combo w/ 17" MBPro.

I pull the MBPro out of my sleeve (asleep) set it on the desk and connect the integrated 24" Display cable to the mac and it instantly wakes up the computer and I start working...never have to open the MBPro.

7. Thiol macrumors 6502a

Thiol

Agreed. I'm in the market for a new laptop... I might get a previous generation instead of the unibodies because of all the problems...

8. Mikebuzzsaw thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm seriously so annoyed. It keeps getting distorted. I'm tempted to buy the apple cinema display just to get away from this problem.

9. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

mac advertises the mini display as a new technology that is going to be coming "soon." now im not trying playing devil's advocate here but displays that support the mini display are definitely in the works at least by apple. and i would guess that they made deals with other companies as well to start using this technology. but who knows maybe im wrong and apple just shoot themselves in the foot. i love my 24" ACD tho so if it turns out that apple goes oops and gets rid of the mini display i will have an external that is acceptable. until i upgrade again.

10. drewsof07 macrumors 68000

drewsof07

Yeah, that'll show 'em! :rolleyes:
    haha, I understand your frustration though. Mine turns to "static snow" after the computer sleeps and the display is connected. Apple won't really tell me anything about it...

Well "technically", displayport technology used in the new Macs was offered free of charge to any 3rd party developers to create compatible products. I see this as a middle-ground between the proprietary Apple Display Connector of old, and industry standard DVI. No it is not a proprietary connection type, but the shape and design of the Apple port is one-of-a-kind (right now).

11. bossxii macrumors 68000

This has been my experience as well. Sucks it's not trouble free with other monitors.

12. raymondu999 macrumors 65816

Come what may... until monitors come out with resolutions over 2560x1600, I miss my old MBP's DVI

13. Dreamail macrumors 6502

It so gives me the impression that Apple is deliberately dumbing down their product line. Moving more and more away from real 'Pro' high-end configurations to middle-of-the-road consumer setups, motto: one size fits all.

High-end configurations, like a 30" monitor on a 15" laptop, are indirectly discouraged by less than optimal functionality. As if Apple is saying:
    "Buy the middle-of-the-road 24 LCD monitor. That's good enough for you!"
    "We know what's good for you. You don't need a high-end system."
    "If you want 30" monitor buy a Mac Pro."

At times Apple really annoys me.

And the sad outlook is the fact that this will only ever be resolved once a miniDisplayPort 30" LCD monitor ships - at $2,500 - $3,000 starting price. Since LCD light panels of that size are still rather expensive.

Whether you buy the current or the next 30" ACD - either way you're screwed.

14. xoggyux macrumors 6502

Offtopic (sort off):
    What I can't still find out why the new MBP does not come with HDMI output instead???

15. drewsof07 macrumors 68000

drewsof07

HDMI is SO 2006 :p

But seriously:
    1. Aesthetics: The port is pretty large compared to the mini displayport
    2. Resolution: Until HDMI 1.3 which brought it to 2560x1600, the max resolution was 1920x1200
    3. Why use an A/V plug for sending video-only signals?
    4. They couldn't sell you a fancy adapter because HDMI is very popular :p

16. xoggyux macrumors 6502

for 2560x1600 for mini dvi an extra usb conector is needed if I am not mistaken.
    HDMI 1.3 can do 2360x1600 with 30bit colors
    the size is not that huge, in fact if you take into account for that resolution you need the mini port + usb you are actually using more space.
    HDMI version B will be ~= 3840x2400
    in the other side 1920x1200 is not like its too low resolution either, and with 2360x1600 display prices you can actually get a 40" HDTV :D (my sony bravia 1080p HDTV 42" was $799 cheaper than ACD, I would not change it either, OK I understand some people do need the higher resolution but its not that big of a difference...

17. Mikebuzzsaw thread starter macrumors 6502