Anyone avoiding iTunes Match and just doing things the traditional way?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by zorinlynx, Oct 22, 2012.

1. zorinlynx macrumors 601

zorinlynx

I bought a 64GB iPhone 5, and just sync my iTunes library to my phone like I've been doing for years (and a few more years before that, to my iPod).

I just like having all my music on my device, without having to worry about network availability to listen to what I want. I can style buy music from iTunes Store using the phone and it auto-downloads to my other devices and Mac, and have full control over my phone's storage.

Anyone else completely eschewing iTunes Match and insisting on doing things traditionally? All I seem to hear from lately are people using Match and very few arguments against it.

2. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

I don't use iTunes match. Not really sure what the point of paying somebody $25 a year to store what I already store just fine is.

If you ask "Does anyone else" on the Internet, you're pretty much bound to get someone that agrees with you.

3. decafjava macrumors 68000

decafjava

Yup, same here, that's what smart playlists are for, at least how I use them.

4. KandyKane macrumors 6502

I don't use iTunes match. I have a 64GB iPhone also and keep it all on there. My plan only gives me 2GB data, and I'm using about 2GB. For other music that's not in my phone, I can use MOG (our version of spotify I think) which is free data transfer on my carrier.

5. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

I haven't signed up to iTunes Match but I rarely use my iPhone for playing music.

Still using my old 160GB iPod classic. I just load all my music and never have to worry about syncing. :)

6. SpyderBite macrumors 65816

SpyderBite

I've used iTunes Match since it launched and I love everything about it except that it lacks the ability to stream music to my iOS devices. Something which I expect they'll remedy in the future. In the meantime I live being able to manage my playlists on any of my devices anywhere without having to perform a sync.

7. LapsangSouchong macrumors 65816

LapsangSouchong

Nope. Never used it, and don't really have any plans to.

8. trozau macrumors regular

trozau

Same here. Don't use iTunes Match. I also have music from independents that I don't know if they will be available via iTunes Match. :apple:

9. bogatyr macrumors 65816

I have more music than will fit on my 64GB phone. I also moved to all SSD drives in my computers which limits my storage space. Moving to iTunes Match fixed the issue of tying up over 64GB of SSD storage and backup storage for my music.

On my phone, when I have a JB, I use it for file storage using SSH/SCP/FTP. It is my portable file storage to remove any need of USB drives for travel.

If I didn't have an unlimited data plan on LTE without throttling, I might not have opted for match.

10. Appleseeds macrumors regular

What isn't available is uploaded. So that's a non issue.

I've used it since it launched and couldn't be happier with it.
    I love having access to all my music at any given time on any Apple product I own.

11. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

Just to add to what others have said....why pay for itunes match and use your data on top of that (obviously not relevant if you have unlimited...unless it is att and the threat of throttling is there.)

12. peeaanuut macrumors 65816

I dont use match either. I sync nearly every morning before work for the new podcasts and updates on my smart playlists.

I do have one question, could I pay for match, upgrade the quality of the low quality files I have, then redownload them and then stop paying for match? So for the cost I could upgrade the overall quality of about 25% of my library?

13. LapsangSouchong macrumors 65816

LapsangSouchong

I guess I feel like my music already is? It's on my home computer and the iphone and ipad that sync to it and I plug my iphone in at work so it's on my work computer while I'm there. I have a 64GB iphone and all my music is always on it.

14. canesalato, Oct 22, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2012

canesalato macrumors 6502a

canesalato

Well if you have a 64gb it's resonable. on the other hand on 16gb things are different. =)
    What I like about match is that if you change a tag on your mac, add a picture, delete a song etc... everything is changed on all your iOS devices. No need to do multiple syncs.

I do this: sync with iTunes just once when I buy the iOS device. Then, I enable match, but choose to only show the songs on the device. Best of both worlds

15. ryanmcv macrumors 6502a

ryanmcv

You'd still have to pay the entire $25 annual fee, but yes, you can certainly use iTunes Match to upgrade the quality of your files (assuming those tracks are available on the iTunes store).

16. peeaanuut macrumors 65816

thats what I figured. But I have some stuff that was ripped to 64k and such from waaaay back in the days that I never bothered re-ripping or finding a better version of. So If I can upgrade around 25% of my library which equals out to about 500GB for $25, that seems like a deal to me. The cloud feature would really only be secondary and probably annoying to me.

17. gentlefury macrumors 68030

update your device then...music streaming has been available in iOS 6 since it came out.

18. bdavis89 macrumors regular

I've considered getting a 16gb iPhone with Match for my music, which would be $250 over the two year contract. This is cheaper than $300 for a 32gb iPhone to have all my music with me. Just my two cents. I think I have decided to go with the 32gb though, in order to have space for photos and videos.

19. hobsgrg macrumors 6502

I also have a 64Gb iPhone 5 and use iTunes match, just downloaded my playlist of my favourite music which is about 18Gb and then I can just stream any other track in my library if I want to play it (as you can download entire playlists). So you don't have to worry about network availability if you have large capacity phone but if you are just going to transfer you entire library then it's pointless using iTunes match. I have a big library of music but there is plenty that I don't normally ever listen to but don't want to get rid of so I would never sync it to my iPhone but with iTunes match I can now stream them if I want. Main reason I got iTunes match is because it meant I could finally ditch my vast CD collection that took up a huge amount of room and some of my tracks didn't rip perfectly as there were scratches on the CDs :(

20. gentlefury macrumors 68030

I have 32GB and have no local music. No point, I always have data available, and streaming works great, even over 3G.

21. canesalato macrumors 6502a

canesalato

Well, It's not real streaming. There's still a download, but it goes into a cache which is separate from the songs you manually download from the cloud and is erased when the phone needs more memory (if everything works...)

22. peeaanuut macrumors 65816

i just cant imagine the data costs its would be to download my music as I go. Horrifying at the costs of data now a days.

23. gentlefury macrumors 68030

Which is the definition of streaming.

24. Tingler macrumors member

This may be a little pathetic but since I listen to music in my car which only has a CD player, I still:

[​IMG]

25. canesalato macrumors 6502a

canesalato

well, if you say so