Anyone beside me find the most use out of the ipad for games?

Discussion in 'iPad Apps' started by Stirolak123, Feb 5, 2011.

1. Stirolak123 macrumors 6502

Despite the fact it seems no one tskes the ipad as a gaming platform seriously or at least not the major publishers outside of ea, it seems like I was born a casual gamer all along. I actually stopped playing video gsmes since the gamecube and couldnt get into them since thr ipad. I know its hard to be an ultra competitive gamer on it with your finger possibly slipping due to not hitting the right button but as a single-player device some games like the recent league of heroes have the controls spot on. Sure, you can still slip that finger, but it happens so rare because of how well the control method is executed you will jsut restart andit wont happen again for like 5 levels. There is no excuse for capcom and those other companies to make such crsppy control methods when indy devs like of that game league of heroes even got a trigger hardcore platformer like league of heroes to work almost as good as a usb controller. No excuse for maxplosion or those ghosts and goblin travesties in controls capcom just puts out day in and day out on the app store. Please capcom, just hire the league of heroes or pizza boy indy devs and make them your capcom mobilr and fund them. And please sega, just leave and dont make anything else on the app store lol.

2. cootersgarage6, Feb 5, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 25, 2011

Lol!

Lol! That's Funny..

I find the iPad to be great for writing documents. I also find it GREAT for surfing the web, but they need to add flash and Java.

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I find its great for ibooks,documents, email, and surfing. I have a handful of games but for the most part I use it for other purposes

4. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

My main use for my iPad is games.

Web browsing I find too slow, and posting things, esp when it comes to copy/paste and editing things is a major chore, so I only use it when I have to for that.

Same for email, I use it, but it's a pain.

The iPad cannot run the programs I use on my PC daily as it does not have the power, and the apps don't exist anyway, so, basically the iPad is a games machine that does some other things for me.

5. MsMerryMac macrumors regular

At first, I thought the iPad would be primarily used for games and web surfing, but I have really used it more for writing and research, saving documents for offline reading, studying and things like that. I have a few games loaded (Need for Speed, Scrabble, Drawn, etc.) but I can't remember the last time I played them. My iPad has become my go to for everything from recipes in the kitchen to working on my current novel.

I was, needless to say, very surprised to find how much I have come to depend on my iPad for "serious" uses.

6. foiden macrumors 6502a

I do use Pages and Numbers regularly. The Web, Youtube, and Netflix a lot. But I would be lying if I didn't say I had a good number of games on it. Various kinds, as well. I wouldn't say I use it mostly for games, but they do take a decent chunk of time out of my total iPad use.

7. Stirolak123 thread starter macrumors 6502

The ipad is an amazing game console especially for the budget gamer on the go. It is kind of like the dreamcast in its last year of life when it cost 50 bucks and games were like 5 to 15 for it. I mean right now you can buy chuc chu rocket hd, shinobi 3, star batallion hd, shadow guardian, and aome ea games all for a dollar each. Where can you do that outside of pirating? Even pirating is more expensive because you have to buy dvda to burn. I mean how can gamers not embrace the machine especially ones on lower budgets? What other console has a game like chu chu rocket qith that much content or world of goo for less than $10? Plus look at all the ipad board games, cross word puzzles, point and click adventures, etc. He game is great for all age ranges and gamers. And when i played shinobi and legue of evil 2x on it the controls are just fine plus you can now buy the fling addons that work with most games if you need joysticks that bad.

8. Stirolak123 thread starter macrumors 6502

9. stuartmeyers macrumors regular

stuartmeyers

Games are good and cheap but after 9 months I only play them sometimes. For me the main use is web, email, twitter, facebook and flipboard whilst parked on the lounge watching TV.

10. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

I have just finished playing "World of Goo"

And must say it's one of the most impressive titles I've played on the iPad.

In terms of quality of programming and variation in play, artwork, music etc etc, it makes Angry birds look like a total joke.

World of Goo looks and feels like a proper game, which it is as it's on other format, that's been expertly ported to the iPad and the touch screen system it perfect. It feels like it was made for it, as opposed to being ported over.

The thing I want to see less off are iPhone games, ones that are really just tweaked "Flash" games that are the sort of thing you would play for a few minutes at the bus stop.

I hope we will see more full games.

Also I'm wondering if the extra memory in the iPad2 may allow better games to be created.

11. Stirolak123 thread starter macrumors 6502

Memory or specs have nothing to do with wuality of games. Look at the best game systems ever -- super nintendo, psx, saturn, dreamcast, etc. All were hardware wise way below the ipad and many of whom have ports on the ipad. And the ipad is perfect for arcade games. It is like made for geometry wars, silverfish, Infinity Field, Coverfire HD.

I think the iCade cabinet will even further such gsme development. Its like a portable arcade machine. What more csn you ant on the go or in short bursts? But even ports of sega games like shinobi lay just fine with the touch screen or fling. I mean why would anyone pay 30 dollars or more for games on other systems now? It just makes no sense to me. But than again I dont let cpntrols or some super hardcore competitive fagotry ruining my enjoyment of a good game nor can I afford to spend much more anyway even if I wanted to right now so the iPad is perfect for me. Plus, the controls just add to the challenge if not well done anyway or I can always get a fling.

I still dont get why they price them so cheap though, whats in it for thes ebig companies selling full fledged 3d games for a buck?

12. EazyWeazy3 macrumors 6502

Surfing the web on it is by far my most favorite thing to do.

It's very convenient imo.

Games are fun too!

13. Stirolak123 thread starter macrumors 6502

Oh and can anyone tell me why angry birds is so popular on the ipad, even with its $4.99 price tag in hd it still dominates he charts. Why?

14. iPhoneCollector macrumors 6502a

iPhoneCollector

world of goo is just awesome and its cheap for today. its one of the best ipad games out there.

15. stuartmeyers macrumors regular

stuartmeyers

Word of mouth and publicity keep people interested to buy it. I don't think $5 (a beer and a half) is much to pay for a game.