Anyone bothered the iPad 2 w/o headphones and cleaning cloth

Discussion in 'iPad' started by junker, Apr 6, 2011.

1. junker macrumors 6502

junker

Does it bother anyone else (like it does me) that the iPad 2 doesn't come with a cleaning cloth nor headphones?

Now granted, these are neither expensive nor high quality versions of said objects, but that only annoys me more with any argument that they would add too much to the final ipad 2 cost, to include.

I paid over 900 bucks (including taxes) for a 32 GB 3g version, and I have to buy headphones and a microfiber cloth to clean the damn thing (oleophobic my butt)

Otherwise, I'm a very happy camper with my ipad2. (well, I did return that "smart" cover... for reasons of scratching my week old ipad2) grrrr....bad apple!

2. levitynyc macrumors 65816

Meh..the cleaning cloths are always lousy anyway, plus who doesn't already have a pair of headphones anyway?

3. einmusiker macrumors 68030

einmusiker

Not really the point. Yes it bugs me

4. ZZ Bottom macrumors 6502a

No headphones I get, it's not being marketed as a music player. BUT I agree that it should have come with one of those black cleaning clothes the MacBooks include. They aren't half bad.

5. g0odfr1end102 macrumors 6502

g0odfr1end102

+1, the cleaning cloth is pretty handy :(

6. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

You paid over $180 in taxes?
    May I ask where you live?

The headphones that come with the apple devices are mediocre at best.

If we spend this much on a device, we should one use decent headphones.

Buy a pair of $300 oakleys and you still may have to buy the $5 cleaning cloth

7. junker thread starter macrumors 6502

junker

I don't mind the cloth - seems to do its job well enough. And yeah I do have a pair of the headphone, but they're old and dirty - sort of buzzes a bit.

I assume this is Apples logic, but considering the price of the damned thing - another cheap pair of headphones wouldn't have killed their bottom line, now would it? :)

I recently bought the garageband app and while it's just a little playfully fun program, I'm pretty sure no one in the room/coffeehouse/train/bus wants to hear my noise (much like my parents hated my Trombone practice in Jr high!).
    And for this reason alone, the headphones would've been nice. Maybe they could give them to us if you show receipt of garageband purchase (yeah right!)

8. Satori macrumors 6502a

Satori

They don't even include microfiber cloths with the MBPs and MBAs anymore. :(

9. Satori macrumors 6502a

Satori

Essential I would say!

10. junker thread starter macrumors 6502

junker

lol! Eh - sorry.... i purchased (and quickly returned) the smart cover with it as well...oh yeah - I got the HDMI adapter too.

The smart cover is a cool concept, but I think not well executed: Covered only the front; left line smudges on screen (various threads on this);scratched the back of the ipad2 at the hinge; and scratched the hinge itself; prone to popping off; I prefer protection on the edge as well.

11. profets macrumors 68040

This thread reminded me of the original iPhone and how even the dock was included in the box.

12. rovex macrumors 65816

The headphones are soo terrible, thankfully they don't include those because I have them in abundance.

You can buy a full cleaning kit for less than 5 pounds. Specifically a philips one which is fantastic. Great value for money IMO.

13. junker thread starter macrumors 6502

junker

... but they still included the microfiber 4 generations later with the iphone 4.

14. junker thread starter macrumors 6502

junker

Yeah I hear people say that, but they do serve a function of helping me not be rude to others ... I need all the help I can get :)

15. Foggy macrumors 6502a

I actually find it more irritating they don't include a dock for ipads/iphones. That irritates me immensely.

16. sbbluewater macrumors member

The headphones that Apple usually includes with things like the iPod are not that good anyway. Yes, I think the iPad should come with a good set of phones, a cleaning cloth and a case for that matter!

17. profets macrumors 68040

Yeah, the cloth is really something they should have included. I have several around so I don't even think about it.

18. Blakjack macrumors 68000

Blakjack

Yea, it kills me that there are no headphones included. I still dont understand this.

19. vrDrew macrumors 65816

You could argue that it ought to come with a printed user manual, a CD-ROM setup disk, and a vinyl carry case too.

But it doesn't, and for a very good reason: Apple wanted to keep the purchase price as affordable as possible. They wanted to spend as many Bill of Material dollars as possible on things that made the iPad perform better. More RAM, a faster processor, cameras....

And so they rightly came to the conclusion that most people already owned at least one pair of compatible headphones/earbuds/whatever. And that they'd be better off using a microfibre cloth they bought at a discount store rather than having one flown in from China in the iPad retail packaging.

20. Nausicaa macrumors 6502a

No, Apple's headphones are awful, and a cleaning cloth is unnecessary since my T-Shirt works just as well.

It bothers me more than the iPad 2 doesn't include the Smart Cover and a dock.

21. synagence macrumors 6502a

If apple were to create a set of earphones that were actually decent then yeah include them .... but they're rubbish ... and i have a box of about 6 pairs still neatly wrapped in their plastic wrap so i didn't need a 7th set :)

22. Nausicaa macrumors 6502a

The problem with this argument is Apple's headphones provide no sound isolation, so people who use them end up turning the volume to maximum anyway, just to hear whatever it is they're listening to over all the external ambient noise. Then everyone around can hear it anyway.

Quite good noise isolating earphones can be had for under $100 these days. Not sure why would want to put up with the poor sound quality of freebies. Beyond that, I'm not sure why people who are willing to spend $1000 on a luxury device like the iPad don't own quality headphones. I spent a little under $300 on mine and the first pair lasted for five years. Been on pair number two for about three. If you care at all about sound quality, it's worth the investment.

23. s.hasan546 macrumors 6502

they do with the MBPs. i just bought my 2011 mbp and it came with a nice sized black microfiber cloth

24. PBz macrumors 6502a

25. mwjd299 macrumors regular

I use the cleaning cloth I got with my iMac. And I have several pairs of headphones. :apple: