Anyone buying the WiFi because they don't want to wait for the 3G?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by email68, Mar 11, 2010.

  1. email68 macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Sep 30, 2007
    #1
    I really would like the 3G, mostly for the GPS. But it would be nice to have an iPad on April 3....

    What to do? Buy two?! :p
     
  2. GeekLawyer macrumors demi-god

    GeekLawyer

    Joined:
    Jun 2, 2007
    Location:
    The post is coming from inside the house!
    #2
    In a word: yes. I'll either decide I don't need 3G/GPS (since I have my iPhone in my pocket) or I'll pass the Wi-Fi model to someone else in my family or sell on eBay. Something along those lines. I'm really hoping I decide I can live without 3G/GPS. But we'll see. ;)
     
  3. OzExige macrumors 6502

    OzExige

    Joined:
    Mar 9, 2008
    Location:
    Omnipresence
    #3
    Please put me in the category of........

    HELL YEAH ..... I CAN'T WAIT!!!!!!


    :D
     
  4. terrymr macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jul 11, 2006
    #4
    I was going to wait for the 3G one but eventually decided that $120 for a feature I'd use rarely probably isn't worth it. There's wifi at home, at work and even on the bus I ride to work. For those occasions wifi isn't available I have my iPhone.
     
  5. Alvi macrumors 65816

    Alvi

    Joined:
    Oct 31, 2008
    Location:
    Mars
    #5
    I won't wait for the 3G because i don't want it, my single reason for 3G is GPS because 3G is slowww here, but since 80% I'll have it at home i don't really need car navigation inside my house :D, and it's ridiculously huge for a car.

    I also won't be able to wait for it, too much time, even if i hope iPads get released in mexico faster than the 3G in the US :(
     
  6. epi117 macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Mar 8, 2010
    #6
    same i am buying it with intention of getting 3g later. i may preorder both in am.
     
  7. jedolley macrumors 68000

    Joined:
    Sep 18, 2009
    #7
    Getting the WiFi so it can play with my MiFi. :)
     
  8. iMJustAGuy macrumors 68020

    iMJustAGuy

    Joined:
    Sep 10, 2007
    Location:
    Beach, FL
    #8
    I'm getting the wi-fi because the ONLY time I can think of when I'll need to get on the internet and not in wi-fi range is when I am a passenger in a car. Oh well. But if it wasn't for that I probably would get it just so I could have it sooner anyway because that's just how I am.
     
  9. justinfreid macrumors 6502

    justinfreid

    Joined:
    Nov 24, 2009
    Location:
    NEW Jersey / USA
    #9
    Or you could get a Mifi. I think your rationale makes sense.
     
  10. iMJustAGuy macrumors 68020

    iMJustAGuy

    Joined:
    Sep 10, 2007
    Location:
    Beach, FL
    #10
    The monthly rate on mifi is TERRIBLE... furthermore, they don't even offer unlimited!
     
  11. Phil A. Moderator

    Phil A.

    Staff Member

    Joined:
    Apr 2, 2006
    Location:
    Shropshire, UK
    #11
    I'm not 100% sure I'll be getting an iPad yet, but if I do it will be the WiFi model - I just don't see the benefit in paying extra for the 3G model. I've got a MiFi on '3' pay as you go in the UK, and that costs me £10.00 a month for 1G of data, which can also be used by my laptop, so I'd just use that if I needed access whilst out and about.
     
  12. teerexx52 macrumors 68000

    teerexx52

    Joined:
    May 1, 2005
    Location:
    Florida West Coast
    #12
    How do you like the mifi from Sprint? Debating on getting one instead of 3g ipad
     
  13. wyneken macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Feb 26, 2010
    Location:
    The great State of Maine
    #13
    I'm not sure anybody yet has fessed up to the embarrassing fact that he/she is going to buy a wifi model for the simple and trivial reason that that he/she just cannot stand to wait any longer. That and no other reason.

    All right, I confess.

    I'm starting to look at this as a mental health issue.

    Let the record show, however, that I haven't jumped for an Apple product on Day 1 since the original 128K Mac.
     
  14. scottness macrumors 65816

    scottness

    Joined:
    Mar 18, 2009
    Location:
    Room 101
    #14
    I'm waiting to see if the wifi buyers like it, then I might get the 3G version.
     
  15. jonnyb macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Jan 21, 2005
    Location:
    London, UK
    #15
    I want one so bad. So bad, in fact, I'm still struggling with the idea of getting my US friend to order me one today. He's coming over on April 17 so, assuming the UK release is April 30, I could have one a whole 13 days ahead of official release!

    It's definitely a mental health thing.
     
  16. FortWorthMac macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Oct 29, 2008
    Location:
    the parched earth of North Texas
    #16
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7D11 Safari/528.16)

    My fear is with Apple's 30 day return policy that they release the 3g version 31 or so days after the initial version. Just my 0.02.
     
  17. bbydon macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    May 18, 2005
    Location:
    ATL
    #17
    Apple has a 14 day return policy
     
  18. maflynn Moderator

    maflynn

    Staff Member

    Joined:
    May 3, 2009
    Location:
    Boston
    #18
    In the end, if anyone is buying wifi just so they can get the device in their hands, they'll soon have buyer's remorse once the 3G hits the streets.

    I totally understand people who opt for the wifi because that's all they need. What is puzzling is that those who'll want the 3G but instead go for the wifi because its available sooner will only regret their decision.

    btw, I am choosing to wait as I'll buy the 3G. I've waited this long for the iPad, another few weeks will matter less.
     
  19. melman101 macrumors 68030

    Joined:
    Sep 3, 2009
    #19
    I completely agree. You have to ask yourself: Am I going to buy 2? or if both were released the same day which one would I get? And if 3G is the answer, then I think living with a year of regret vs. 30 days of waiting for the 3G is a big burden.

    Hence I'll wait for the 3G.
     
  20. gwynne macrumors 68000

    gwynne

    Joined:
    Mar 11, 2010
    #20
    Guilty.

    I don't do the rampant consumerism thing that often, but when I do I want it now.

    I won't immediately buy a newer model with the 3G comes out because I am not sanguine about paying two cell bills a month. More likely is that I will finally replace my ancient EDGE iPhone and jailbreak the new one for myfi at some point.

    As for the return policy time limit, I've read elsewhere that people are planning on just eBaying their WiFi model when the 3Gs launch. I would imagine that resale value will be pretty high. Probably very close to original retail price if you keep the wifi model in good shape and hang on to all your packaging bits and bobs. (Or higher than retail if availability is still low in places? Don't have much experience with these launches.)
     
  21. justinfreid macrumors 6502

    justinfreid

    Joined:
    Nov 24, 2009
    Location:
    NEW Jersey / USA
    #21
    It's not a simple replacement for built in 3G, but rather an alternative for someone who has multiple devices that require cell based internet. It's not cheap, but I challenge you, even with multiple devices, to use more than 5GB of data (if you're not torrenting).
     
  22. turtlebud macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jul 17, 2002
    #22
    Nope

    There is a tiny part of me that would like 3G, but the 16GB WIFI version is really the one I want. I don't see myself needing 3G much/at all and I'm mainly getting the iPad to play around with it and see what it can do. I think it has a lot of potential.

    I know there's another thread on what you're getting the iPad for, but I'm mainly getting it for sharing photos/videos, for my commute on the bus (movies, internet - there's wifi, email), and to use around the house for internet/email (and potentially other apps that may be developed - like for cooking, etc.).

    My plan is the upgrade when the 2nd generation is out and sell this one, so I want to spend as little as possible on it. The $130 premium for 3G just doesn't make sense for me.
     
  23. Stngray macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jun 25, 2007
    Location:
    Goodyear, AZ
    #23
    Ordered a 16G wifi and a 64G 3G. The wifi will be my girlfriends as soon as I get the 3G. I wanted the 3G for the rare road trip/vacation, so not too upset by the wait.
     
  24. amnost macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Feb 6, 2010
    Location:
    United States
    #24
    Exactly. I got a Wi-Fi iPad and a Verizon Mi-fi :rolleyes:
     
  25. teerexx52 macrumors 68000

    teerexx52

    Joined:
    May 1, 2005
    Location:
    Florida West Coast
    #25
    How does the 5gb cap seem to work for everyone?

    The monthly cap is what is holding me off. Is it really difficult to go over in a month?
     

Share This Page